Post the car you learned to drive in...

-
Can't believe I was able to find a picture of the exact car. White 1963 Pontiac Laurentian 2 door sedan (Canadian model) 230 Chev 6 with three on the tree.

images_pontiac_laurentian_1963_1_b.jpg

My older brothers 1964 Galaxie XL500 big block 3 speed manual. He would go out and get drunk at his friends house and call me to ride my bike over and drive him home in it. I was about 13. I still have the car. He gave up on it and it’s sitting in my backyard waiting.

My father had a new '65 Chevy Bel Aire and that's the car I learned to drive in. On the day of the exam my older brother came to pick me up and take me to the test location. When he got to the house to pick me up he said dad's car has a flat and we don't have time to change it, so we'll take my car. THIS was it. The queen friggin mary, they must have christened it with champagne when it was built. Still remember the look I got from the examiner when we rolled up, somehow I passed.

1959_Dodge_Custom_Royal_Lancer_hardtop_coupe_rear_view_Chrysler_Archives_3.jpg

It was 1959, I was 14 and already knew how to drive, but this was car I actually drove.
I knew how to drive by observing my dad.

This car was his pride and joy!
This is pic from net.

57 windsor 2dr.jpg

Somewhere I have a pic of the actual car and will post it.

My father had a new '65 Chevy Bel Aire and that's the car I learned to drive in. On the day of the exam my older brother came to pick me up and take me to the test location. When he got to the house to pick me up he said dad's car has a flat and we don't have time to change it, so we'll take my car. THIS was it. The queen friggin mary, they must have christened it with champagne when it was built. Still remember the look I got from the examiner when we rolled up, somehow I passed.

View attachment 1715867054
Beautiful Dodge!!!

th?id=OIP.jpg
ds_22132__47_4.jpg

1964-chevrolet-el-camino.jpg

unattended, the '64 Elky. Dad's boss flipped me the keys and told me to go fetch his truck. I think I was 10 or 11 :steering:

Last edited:
Nothing fun for me since it must have been a late 90s corolla or some other throw away soul less car

I'm in the process of teaching my boy to drive though in this 9000 pound brick

(With the plow on it, of course)

20211025_172051.jpg

He had a 1974 Celica GT 5sp
I learned to drive in a 1979 Celica ST 5 speed. Had the coolest shift knob, wood with a green background for the gear pattern. Wish I would have taken that before I sold the car. Total pile he got from a coworker, and the first car I worked on. I got to pay for it, while my sister's could take it whenever they wanted. :realcrazy: I also got to pay for my insurance while they got a free ride. Had my first accident, hit a straight truck right on the rear frame dropdowns. Junkyard parts and quick bending of the hood and I was back in business. Still remember that car fondly to this day. Glad I saw the light a few year later after a few more rides, and got my first Mopar, a total pile '81 TC3, which I still remember fondly, and also the first car I did a Duke's of Hazzard jump with, not intentionally.

Last edited:
Not positive which was first ‘66 Rambler Ambassador station wagon or trucks, farm tractors or combines. Pretty sure Rambler was not first, been too long ago.
Yote

72pont96129-1.jpg

1972 Pontiac Catalina in dull army green. It had a couch in the front, a couch in the back, and a big block!

1984 Volvo 240 Wagon TURBO 4 with a 5 speed STICK. Same car as below. I beat a kid in a Chevelle with it.
1.jpg

I just passed a car that brought back fond memories of learning to drive with my Dad. He had a 1974 Celica GT 5sp (had to look up year of taillights) as a company car and since it was our only stick at the time, I learned to drive in this model car. I had not seen one on the street in probably 15 years! This one looks to be on its last legs but it's still registered so.....post dem pics!
View attachment 1715866959
After I learned, we got a 82 Mazda 626 4dr. 5sp. Super cool car, sort of a modern 4dr Valiant , blocky and reliable. Same MA 2.0 that's currently in my 82 B2000.
Hey Man, my old Drummer had a B2000!

1965 Ford F250 4x4

I don't think that counts tho because I could already ride a dirt bike so driving was just an extension of that.

1951 1/2 ton Dodge farm truck, 3 on the tree. Leaned to drive in the field so I could be better farm labor.
:steering:

This a pic of my Dad with my 1969 Camaro the day after driving it home from TN 1986. Bought it from a cousin, who bought it from another cousin (first bought 1982). Both kick themselves in the *** for selling it. Second pic is my father and son, I'm still lucky enough to be driving it today.

View attachment 1715867024

View attachment 1715867027
That's very cool. Always loved the 69 body style.

I don’t remember “learning” to drive. Seems like I always drove. When I was 12 I drove across Canada in a 69 Catalina wagon. I drove to drivers ed. Took my test in a 67 Barracuda that I own today.

I used to hot lap a Carmen Giha around the block after school. That was 7th and 8th grade.

I can't post it but I can tell it was a 69 mercury marauder X-100 is what I got my driver's license in.
I was born knowing how to drive lol.

My first car, the one I drove to high school was a 55 Chevy, delrey, two door coupe, my folks bought new, in 1954. I still have it.
My drivers training car, was a triple pickle 70 road runner!

I first learned to drive an old 40's era Ford tractor on my grandparents land. From there at age 13, my dad & his best friend brought home a 26 T pickup with the engine & transmission in the bed. My dad told me when I could get it running & driving that I could get a license but I wasn't driving his F*&^%g cars. I kept that car through high school & into college.

1964 Buick LeSabre like the one pictured, but a dark Blue color.
But, before that, a 59 Chevy Bel Air that dad had me go up and and down the drive way, first gear, and reverse, with a standard shift, 3 on the tree, column shift.
Like this one, but all green, top to bottom.
View attachment 1715867015

View attachment 1715867020
My next door neighbors had the exact same 59 Chevy when I was a kid, stupid horn would sound in the middle of the night randomly, until my old man went over one day and unplugged the horn.

-
Back