Post your electric fan/radiator set up

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
Skep149 got me thinking about the HHR fan deal with his post here. There's also a lot of info on Moparts about it too. Looks like it may work fairly well and is a 'budget' kind of deal.

Of course, this is not a plug and play operation and generally requires some thought and fitting. Seems there are a couple considerations - radiator size, water pump type and location and whether to cut to the radiator support to make it all work (which I'm not doing).

Also, there's the electrical part to the equation - wiring, relays, switches, fan controllers, alternator capacity and so on.

Please post your electric fan set ups. Of course it would be useful to include as much info as possible with pics :-D. List your radiator type/brand, water pump, method of mounting and any custom bracketry, wiring, alternator and whatever else you needed to get it working right.

Of course everyone will want to know cost and where to get everything so list that too.

Maybe if we get enough detailed replies this can be saved as a sticky. Let's see 'em!

Nice thread, very good idea. I had my radiator made , at about double what you can buy one for now. It is a Wizard cooling, and it was bout $800. I bought a couple electric fans off of ebay, and mated them, with a bracket I made myself. Cost for fan assembly was about $90.
6ezvy1.jpg

2l9hxms.jpg

wtd4qt.jpg

Radiator and shroud from Northern. Fan from Spal or flexalite, cant recall off hand. I added the brackets to mount it and still have to build a top cap. It was relatively cheap....think I have $350ish into the whole package w/ the fan and relay. Eventually it will be anodized or have some finish on it

I have matching power steering res and rad overflow mounted on each side which are definately not included in the $350ish price stated above.....ouch!

derale cooling fan setup=their own shroud with 2 bosch fans taht are rated at 2000cfm each pulling 25amp continuous.

the radiator is a griffin 26x19x3. i welded on tabs to mount the radiator to the car. the water pump is really close and i had to cut material away so it would fit. the car stays about 195 cruising here in az and if im wide open throttle a lot the second fan keeps the temp around 205

I guess it cooled off enough, this is not a hot topic. :D

Seriously. Thought there's be more replies. :dontknow:

For sure the cooling system is not real sexy and doesn't make any horsepower by itself but a cool car is a happy car...

Ok, here's mine.

Griffin radiator - $280
Spal Dual 11's - $235
Aluminum stock/hardware - $40

I had to split the fans and cut a section out to bring them closer together. Fabbed upper and lower fan brackets as well as mounting brackets to use the rubber bushings. Upper fan bracket "clips on" without any bolts. Still working on the upper brackets that attach to the rad support. The wiring/relays are from an '01 LH. They fit like they were made for this, lol.
img0001md.jpg

img0002we.jpg

img0006ll.jpg

Here is my Radiator/Fan setup.

Ebay Champion 26" 3 core Aluminum
Dual 12" 1600cfm fans

Fit Great.....$239 shipped.

Cant wait to gauge its performance.

007.jpg

Seriously. Thought there's be more replies. :dontknow:

For sure the cooling system is not real sexy and doesn't make any horsepower by itself but a cool car is a happy car...
heres mine!!! ebay spal fan, $40? made ali brackets to suit,ali rad, note the current draw...........

Attachments

• keiron christening nov 2010 001.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 702
  • keiron christening nov 2010 002.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 660
  • keiron christening nov 2010 004.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 647
Mine is a Wizard Cooling rad with 4-Spal 9" fans in a 67 Barracuda with a 383 big block. Not a lot of room.

Mike

Attachments

• Rad_drivers1 (3).jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 647
  • Rad_passengers (3).jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 625
Smith radiator for my 68 505 RB Cuda , still not together yet

Attachments

• radiator resized0001.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 689
  • radiator resized0009.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 614