poulan chainsaw warranty

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
so I bought this "factory refurbished" poulan chainsaw over the internet the other day
(and I know, "refurbished" means the other guy couldn't get it to work either)

anyway, 85 bucks for a 16 inch bar chainsaw, I figured, it was worth a shot

it showed up in the mail a day early so I got it all put together, put some gas in there, added some bar oil and fired that puppy up

let it warm up for a bit...gunned it...and...nothing
it picked up some revs, but not like it should, and the chain did not move

so I pulled the clutch cover off to remove the bar and chain to see if it would spin the clutch and lookie what I found

not sure what happened, but that clutch basket is not supposed to be that nice blue color, and the cover is not supposed to be molten to it

sooo, I called the place I bought it from, and they claimed all "factory refurbished" chainsaws are under factory warranty and to take it in to any poulan dealer and they would fix the issue for me

if they could not fix it, the vendor promised me they would send out a call tag so I can send it back and they would send me out a replacement

they emailed me an invoice to take to a dealer, AND a list of authorized dealers close to my house

so I went out the next day and dropped it off at "woody's"
the girl behind the counter looked it over and told me she would get right on it
so I get in the duster (ironic right, that 408 duster parked in front of a small engine shop) and head out to the south side to meet the wife for lunch
as I pull into the restaurant parking lot, not even 15 minutes later, my phone rings
its the girl from woody's, she just got of the phone with poulan and a replacement is on the way for me
(not just a powerhead, but a complete unit, bar, chain and all)
I presume this one will also be factory refurbished...but so far...

I am impressed

there good for about 5 cords of small wood or 2 cord of bigger hardwood .

chances are,thats several years of my use
I'm just looking to chop up dead wood for the fire pit

I had an 20 inch poulan pro, used it to cut down hundreds of pine trees. Only problem I had was using to much bar oil and gunk in the drive when doing pine. Removed several stumps with it too.

I have had my Poulan Pro 20 for a good ten years and use it fairly regularly.
Loaned it to my Brother for a season's worth of firewood and taken down multiple trees with it, as well as used it for years as a camping saw for firewood or whatever, and never a problem one with it.
They do send them out fairly rich to where they don't 2 cycle unless under a fair load but that's just a little carb adjusting of the mainjet and done from the outside anyway.
Good little saw.

Poulans were the favorite saw by the pulpwood guys... when I lived back South decades again. I had a good bow saw.
funny this popped up today. I spent last week, and 3 trips back and forth to the local "small" engine shop. everyone uses them. they are the "guys"> I have a a small 16 or 18 in husky, had it for 6-7 years, I cut about 4 cd s a year of slabwood,...not logs...... it ran perfect when I finally got it to start, but so hard to start...... they put in carb kit, replaced the fuel line. $49 bill... still hard to start, will not start after gets hot till it cools down, and dies when cutting. as soon as I take my finger of the throttle.
so he asks HOW much ya want to spend on this saw. ya can buy a new one for $179... ha

I said before I took it in, it cut great ONCE I got it started. maybe I need to get another POULAN! ha

UPDATE

I went to pick up my replacement this morning
just for comparison, this is the box my first one came in

and this is the box the replacement came in

I did not see any of the check marks on the replacement unit to indicate this one has been remanufactured, and the pull rope is WHITE
as in clean, not dirty, doesn't look like its ever been pulled, white

so I'm thinking I got an off the shelf new one to replace the remanned one (haven't been able to find a manufacturing date yet)

the store clerk also said one of the things that can cause the damage as seen in my first one is running it with the chain break on
something I am fairly certain I did not do...but I'm not 100% sure

so far, I am impressed

When I first seen that pic, I thought, looks like the chain brake is on.

and I wont deny that MAY have been the case
I don't think it was. but it might have been

IF that was the case them even bigger Kudos to Poulan for honoring warranty on what would be operator malfunction

-
Back