Powder coat removal

-

340GTSDart

Reaction score
Does anyone know how I can remove the powder coating from an aluminum intake that has been powder coated? Thanks for your help.

LOL, I was thinking he same thing. But I really do not know for sure.

I'd ask Cudachick1968 thats what she does. Her biz.

Coat it really good with Airplane stripper or a good paint stripper and it will soften it up somewhat,you may have to repeat the process a few times to get it ll off.I will tell you it is a pain in the AZZ to remove! Even a commercial sandblaster has a heck of a time getting it off! It will do it but it takes time.I found the stripper works pretty well.I used 3 coats and then pressure washed it real good then had it blasted and it looked NEW AGAIN!

i'v used the airplane paint stripper on powder coated parts and worked great and that way didn't need to sand it down so much to polish it !

The Eastwood Company sells a FANTASTIC powder coat and paint stripper made by DeSolv. They sell it in one- and five-gallon containers. It's biodegradeable, reuseable, dissolves paint/powder in 30 minutes to 2 hours without any scraping or undue hardship, and smells just awful.
At $59.99 a gallon, it's just slightly more expensive than gasoline but is definitely worth the money (especially when you compare that with the cost of the excessive blasting media you're trying to take it off with now).
Without divulging my trade secrets here, please keep in mind that aluminum parts require additional prep steps and special attention when you're coating them if you want them to turn out nice.
340GTSDart, if you want to send that intake over here, I can take care of the stripping (hey, be nice guys LOL) and coat it in your favorite color for well under $150.00. But you get to pay the shipping both ways. :)

-
Back