POWDER COATING COST

-
That’s the idea, one day went looking for him he’s under his dash fixing throttle cable, couldn’t be more proud. LoL

Don't get me wrong; I'm glad you were able to get your frame blasted and powder coated for $300, but I don't see how. He lost money on that. His consumables were probably close to that much. That took a lot of time to blast and clean off. It had to be baked in the oven to outgas. Then it had to be cleaned off. Then it took several pounds of powder to do something that big. At $300 he made nothing.
What he quoted and what he had on the bill. It's the 6th one he has done for me and my old man plus dozens of small parts. It's a big facility that's all they do. Turn around is a week to 2 weeks. Plus the frames are texas frames so they are extremely nice to start with

I Luv Leanna, but can't see it being productive / economical to send stuff all the way South to her Troy.
Just sent a big box to Leanna, 2 sets of valve covers, Air cleaner lid and a couple of big brackets. Shipped pirate ship for $31 from detriot. Worth it to have an experienced professional who supports our hobby take care of my stuff.

Just sent a big box to Leanna, 2 sets of valve covers, Air cleaner lid and a couple of big brackets. Shipped pirate ship for $31 from detriot. Worth it to have an experienced professional who supports our hobby take care of my stuff.
NICE! Glad Leanna is getting some business as she can certainly use it right now!

Now try shipping that same stuff out of Canada and then try to get it back in past customs. Never fun...

Im building something like a headache rack for my truck

It basically comes down to 5 feet of 2x2 angle iron and 6 feet of 1x1 square tubing

I'm hoping to cash in a favor and have it powdercoated for free

I’m starting to get things coated with Cerakote and haven’t had anything done in powder for about two years now. It’s lighter, goes on thinner, and can be used on headers. They make a piston coat as well.
I’m tiring of paying for it though so I recently purchased an air compressor and slowly moving toward that goal.

Same, I've been using this stuff for years. It doesn't lay down the smoothest but it's the next toughest thing I've found next to powder coating.

You're right about it drying. I feel like it takes a good 5 days to really fully cure but once it does, it's rock hard.
I am definitely going to try some of this primer.
Have you ever tried placing the parts in the sun? I wonder if some heat would accelerate that process.

NICE! Glad Leanna is getting some business as she can certainly use it right now!

Now try shipping that same stuff out of Canada and then try to get it back in past customs. Never fun...
So would you have to pay customs on what you paid for the powder coating only? It would make NO sense to charge based on the value of the parts.

Similar story...sent 2 sets of rally circuit boards out to get redone. Received them back in great shape! Economical price until Canada Customs dinged me for the value of entire parts, NOT just the repair work. I challenged it and got denied. Repair work was $50?? I think, total value of boards...$200 I think.
C**ksuckers...
I agree with DB, I would love to ship my stuff down to Leanna, she could use the work and her work is impeccable.
I Luv Leanna, but can't see it being productive / economical to send stuff all the way South to her Troy.

Picotte Powder Coating | Timmins ON

So would you have to pay customs on what you paid for the powder coating only? It would make NO sense to charge based on the value of the parts.

Last edited:
I challenged it and got denied. Repair work was $50?? I think, toral value of boards...$200 I think.
When I shipped my Oneway lathe part up your way, I was told from the manufacturer to claim the value at $0 dollars. This was a heavy part. I don’t know if that’s the legal way of doing it up there. The manufacturer only had to pay for the shipping costs, no duty.

I've done that a few times.as well, BUT if pkg goes missing/damaged there is no recourse as its valued at diddly squat.
When I shipped my Oneway lathe part up your way, I was told from the manufacturer to claim the value at $0 dollars. This was a heavy part. I don’t know if that’s the legal way of doing it up there. The manufacturer only had to pay for the shipping costs, no duty.

I've done that a few times.as well, BUT if pkg goes missing/damaged there is no recourse as it’s valued at diddly squat.
I was lucky the part was under warranty and on the manufacturer dime if it got lost.

It should only be taxed on the cost of the "repair" work, but that said.... as soon as you put an insured value on the customs papers the buggers at Canada Border "Service" will use the insured value for their import value and tax you 13% + $9.95 fee when it comes back into Ontario.

I am definitely going to try some of this primer.
Have you ever tried placing the parts in the sun? I wonder if some heat would accelerate that process.

It's a paint but yeah I've had parts outside in partial sun and it's still a few days it seems to fully cure. Try testing it out because my memory could be failing me but it's definitely not dry enough for install after 24 hours. I painted my Duster steelies with it and the paint held up a good 15 years. It's not as nice as powder coating but I can guarantee it held up 1000% better than Rustoleum would have in its place.

It just arrived Wayne!!
Thank you for your business, for your confidence in my abilities, and for being the most phenomenal Secret Santa who ever rode a sleigh!!

:thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

My powder coater will help with small jobs in the major colors he does (black predominately) where he collects all the small jobs for a week and does 1 huge job of all the gloss black at once, turning a bunch of small jobs into a big one. Expect custom colors to be more for the setup and cleaning of the gun. If you aren't too picky, you can get cost down if you lump yourself in with a bigger job that requires color leniency and sometimes patience for that big job to get together.
I do that too. One of my most popular colors is semi-gloss black. It is amazing for suspension parts, brackets and, air cleaners all kinds of other car related parts. I will tell people who want that color that if they can wait a couple of days, I'll combine it with another batch and save them a little money. It is WAY easier to do one batch of, let's say, 16 parts in semi-gloss black than two separate 8-piece batches.

Similar story...sent 2 sets of rally circuit boards out to get redone. Received them back in great shape! Economical price until Canada Customs dinged me for the value of entire parts, NOT just the repair work. I challenged it and got denied. Repair work was $50?? I think, total value of boards...$200 I think.
C**ksuckers...
I agree with DB, I would love to ship my stuff down to Leanna, she could use the work and her work is impeccable.
That is all kinds of BS.

Is this the stuff I just saw on Facebook. If so she did a beautiful job.

Is this the stuff I just saw on Facebook. If so she did a beautiful job.

Thanks for that :D but @69conv's stuff just got here yesterday. I'm currently working on a big job that just got its first color last night.

IMG_20231109_160517.jpg

IMG_20231109_160524.jpg

There are two other arrivals in between so it will be a bit.

I watched my neighbor powder coat in his small business garage it looked fairly simple

I watched my neighbor powder coat in his small business garage it looked fairly simple

It is. Getting fabulous results that last for decades isn't.

I went to that guy's next suggested video on "proper prep." Seeing a dirty, unblasted piece of metal hanging up with tape on the threads 'ready to coat' was all I needed to see.

You can teach anyone how to do anything. Teaching them how to do it wrong is a disservice to the entire industry no matter what the subject matter is.

Last edited:
-
Back