Powder Coating Torsion Bars

-

carguy47

Reaction score
OK. Have any of you powder coated torsion bars?

I am assuming, like the rear leaf springs, this is probably a NO-NO.

Thoughts? Thanks, FABO

I would not. I believe coating is heated to 300-350, which is enough to anneal some steels.

Epoxy paint like the factory. Nobody sees them anyway.

Firm Feel powder coats all of the torsion bars they sell, as do some of the other torsion bar manufacturers. Unless you heat them up until they're darn near glowing red you won't hurt the spring rate.

Says right in the description they're powder coated, and I can confirm all the sets I have bought from them are. 60k+ miles on the set in my Challenger.
Firmfeel Mopar Suspension and Steering

***Edit***
Hotchkis powder coats their torsion bars as well
41 in. 1.03 in. Forged Torsion Bars for Mopar B and E Body Models

Last edited:
The ones that we sell are powder coated. The only portions that is not are either ends where they install in the vehicle.

Thanks
James

The ones that we sell are powder coated. The only portions that is not are either ends where they install in the vehicle.

Thanks
James

Was just about to add you guys to the list! :thumbsup:

Nice that you guys don't powder coat the hex ends. That is the only issue I've ever had with the Firm Feel torsion bars I use. The powder coating on the hex ends make them difficult to install because of the added thickness. I remove the powder coating from the ends before I install them now.

Here's the link to P-S-T's description which also details the powder coating
1.03" Torsion Bar - A Body

Can you bead blast t-bars?

I don't see why not, though I'm not sure I would use a super aggressive media because you don't want to damage the surface. But if the surface of the bar is so bad that it needs to be bead blasted you might want to consider new torsion bars. I'd be more concerned with the rust or whatever you were trying to blast having damaged the bars already than the bead blasting causing issues.

Firm feel can recondition original torsion bars. If you look at the link I provided to Firm Feel above it describes the process. From their website - "For customers that want OE torsion bars with correct forge number we offer complete reconditioning. We will take your worn out OE torsion bars: reindex, straighten, shot-peen, and reheat treat back to new condition." Of course, they charge $200 to do it, and at that point you'll still have a factory torsion bar which will result in a factory original undersprung ride. But I suppose if you're doing some 100% original rebuild on some matching numbers rarity it makes sense. Ish.

I had my .092" T-bars powder coated along with the rest of the front suspension parts . The gentleman who did the work has been in business for over 30 years . He does the powder coating for Factory 5 . He assured me that T-bars are just a spring and he has done hundreds of springs with success . Oh, by the way , they look killer . Later, Tom

I'm pretty sure you have to get steel up to about 1,000 deg F before any metallurgical issues happen. 300-400 hundred degrees ain't nothing to steel.

I don't see why not, though I'm not sure I would use a super aggressive media because you don't want to damage the surface. But if the surface of the bar is so bad that it needs to be bead blasted you might want to consider new torsion bars. I'd be more concerned with the rust or whatever you were trying to blast having damaged the bars already than the bead blasting causing issues.

Firm feel can recondition original torsion bars. If you look at the link I provided to Firm Feel above it describes the process. From their website - "For customers that want OE torsion bars with correct forge number we offer complete reconditioning. We will take your worn out OE torsion bars: reindex, straighten, shot-peen, and reheat treat back to new condition." Of course, they charge $200 to do it, and at that point you'll still have a factory torsion bar which will result in a factory original undersprung ride. But I suppose if you're doing some 100% original rebuild on some matching numbers rarity it makes sense. Ish.

Thanks, you're always helpful. I already put some pst big bars on, was just going to do the stock /6 bars for fun and give them to someone who could use them.

Thanks FABO. You guys knocked it out of the ball park again!
Yeah, my thought was NOT to do the ends, but have them tape them off.

After I harden the springs I use at work (gun springs) I temper them at 700* to get the spring rate I want. Different temps anneal to different levels. Useless tidbit :)

Anyhow, the local powder coater does the springs for the monster truck The Black Stallion. 4' high springs, no adverse effects. And these guys USE those springs!!! :)

latest?cb=20150208133822.jpg

-
Back