-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
ok, paint class basics ....paint contains

1. binder
2. pigment
3. solvent

the binder attaches the paint to the surface often through a mechanical bond created by sand prepping the surface and creating microscopic lines for the binder can flow into as a liquefied substance and grip in the lines as it sets up through a thermoset chemical reaction.

the pigment is an agent of the binder giving the material color and is made to the desired color that the painter wants the car and metallic can be added however the metallic reduces the mathematical area of the pigment and can accelerate oxidation is colors that metallic heavy as the pigment only fades not the metallic ....namely in silver

the solvent acts as a vehicle to properly atomize the paint material and carry it to the desired surface where the solvent will escape into the atmosphere leaving behind the paint material to set up in its permanent configuration. the life goal of the solvent is to escape into the surface ....that is why when lacquer thinner is applied to a surface, it momentarily goes under the surface and then lifts the surface or rather whatever is on the surface as it proceeds to make an escape to atmosphere......in other words ....that's why it can lift paint and dirt off of surfaces.

ok now, powder coating

is my assumption correct by concluding that powder coat material is a binder and pigment sans solvent and when applied to a surface, it is in a droplet format. so that when the heat is applied in baking, it melts these pigment/binder "droplets" and also the heat will expand the metal surface on a microscopic level to facilitate further mechanical bond upon contraction. ...so its like adding soap to water droplets and making them smaller on a microscopic level.

so if that is a true assumption, my question is also :

is there a fair amount of solvent release of a possible resident solvent at the time of baking?

And is powder coat a dual layer substance or is it a single layer that flows out and maintains its pigment property.

and also ....is powder coating a thermoset or a thermoplastic. in other words, after it is set up ...can it be modified with a solvent, like or unlike a lacquer paint?

I have never messed with powder coat before and im trying to understand how it works .

ITSSSSSSSSSS over rated in my opinion.

the part i like about powder coating is the prep,coating,baking and cure time are all very short. if you have the correct tools. sand blasting hard parts is ideal. it creates a tooth for the powder to adhere to. the other cool part of coating is that once the part is cool to the touch it is ready to use. no waiting for paint to dry.

I don't know the history on it but I know for shore that drag racer's can thank Don Garlits for anodizing and powder coating,because there was a time when he would not paint any of his cars,he would build them and wipe them down with oil,and when asked why he would tell you that paint would add 250 lb. to his cars and wt,takes Hp,to move he said he lernt that on his first rail that he welded up said he got in a big hurry and didn't have time to paint it and test it so he picked testing over paint then went racing for half the seson(that's the car he broke a lot of records in) and had a two week widow before the next race and it was in fla.so he took it apart and painted it (with those cars you could take completly apart in an hour by your self and back in two or three)the car lost three and a half tenths.and it took years for racers to figure that out.if you go to his museum unless he has redun them you can come up thru the yrs,of his cars and see it,..just that I would share that with you all,,if you didn't already know it??......Artie

I have been using the eastwood kit for 20 years, and I think it is great. Doesn't chip like paint, keeps it's finish, can wipe it with carb cleaner without damage,has yet to peal off. What more can you ask of a finish?

Um,................ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............ next time you think of it, weigh a gallon or two of paint............................

Yeah, about what 5-6 pounds? Including the weight of the can its stored inside. Much of which is lost to overspray and ventilation systems during the painting process.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]general rule of thumb is every 100lbs = one tenth

that's some HEAVY paint he used A ?
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]general rule of thumb is every 100lbs = one tenth[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]that's some HEAVY paint he used A ?[/FONT]

No, it's not heavy paint.
Just 31 gallons of it. :D
(Aproximate 8 lbs per gallon devided into 250)

Powdercoat is literally powdered plasic that attches to the base metal magnetically and is then baked (Melted) on.

You can learn a ton about it here at the Powder Coating Institute website, and then go to the Publications tab at the top right of the page.
http://www.powdercoating.org/11/Our-Industry/What-is-Powder-Coating

Excellent research, Rani. Anything warmed and applied electrostatic wise,beats solvent based products. The problem,lies in prep time,consumables,and the product in question.(JMO..). Great Idea for a thread...

Well hell, yall know they DID use lead in paint back then? It was heavy. LOL

Hopefully Leanna will chime in on this one.

No, it's not heavy paint.
Just 31 gallons of it. :D
(Aproximate 8 lbs per gallon devided into 250)

Powdercoat is literally powdered plasic that attches to the base metal magnetically and is then baked (Melted) on.

You can learn a ton about it here at the Powder Coating Institute website, and then go to the Publications tab at the top right of the page.
http://www.powdercoating.org/11/Our-Industry/What-is-Powder-Coating

TrailBeast has the best advice yet about The Powder Coating Institute -- they're the industry experts on the subject and are the best source for correct information about its formulation, history and use. Most people don't realize it's been around for nearly 50 years since it's only filtered down into the aftermarket / automotive venues over the last 10-15 years.

ITSSSSSSSSSS over rated in my opinion.

Don ... once again you've just tossed out some random observation without any kind of basis in fact or without any kind of support from your own perspective. If you have a problem with my work on the Mickey Thompson valve covers that were donated to you by JamesDaytona I really wish you'd talk to me about it instead of posting these little jibes you've become fond of. Was it really the work that has you upset to the bone ... or the extra $60 the Post Office charged you????

Just like any other product, powedercoatings have thier pros and cons.
There are applications or environments where it works great, and others where it might not.

Don ... once again you've just tossed out some random observation without any kind of basis in fact or without any kind of support from your own perspective. If you have a problem with my work on the Mickey Thompson valve covers that were donated to you by JamesDaytona I really wish you'd talk to me about it instead of posting these little jibes you've become fond of. Was it really the work that has you upset to the bone ... or the extra $60 the Post Office charged you????

Kinda sad.... Complaining about a gift to you that was done out of the goodness of someone's heart?

Come on..... Get a grip!:wack:

BTW.... Leanna, I thought the M/T Valve Covers looked AMAZING!!

well acshlee a gallon of strate enamel paint(with lead) is around 7.2 lbs.or less not conting the can with a handel and lid.and as far as the car weighing another 250lbs.is what I was told whether that was the weight of the car or the weight of the paint IIIIII, don't know!!!at this point I relley don't care,and Im sorry I tried to make a statement on it and that wont happen again!dam DAM!!!.and as far as knowing any one or anything if ever I lern to put picures and other proof of it. I'm sure I will be up all night doing it!!!...........sorry for trying to be part of the gang...........:violent1::violent1::violent1: Artie Clise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's just call it an "Oops!", Artie...
Nobody will remember it in the morning...
Ok, maybe they will, but who cares?
You're still here!

Powder coat is stronger and more durable than a good professional paint job. They've been using it in the Automotive industry for over 25 years now. It's waaay better than paint. :book:

They've been powder coating donuts for over a hundred years.:tongue3::tard: It works much better than paint. The only downside is it sticks to your fingers & clings to your shirt. But have you ever tasted a painted donut? Yuk!:coffee2:

TrailBeast has the best advice yet about The Powder Coating Institute -- they're the industry experts on the subject and are the best source for correct information about its formulation, history and use. Most people don't realize it's been around for nearly 50 years since it's only filtered down into the aftermarket / automotive venues over the last 10-15 years.

don't hold back Lanna,tell em what you really think I'm going to from now on!!...Artie

well acshlee a gallon of strate enamel paint(with lead) is around 7.2 lbs.or less not conting the can with a handel and lid.and as far as the car weighing another 250lbs.is what I was told whether that was the weight of the car or the weight of the paint IIIIII, don't know!!!at this point I relley don't care,and Im sorry I tried to make a statement on it and that wont happen again!dam DAM!!!.and as far as knowing any one or anything if ever I lern to put picures and other proof of it. I'm sure I will be up all night doing it!!!...........sorry for trying to be part of the gang...........:violent1::violent1::violent1: Artie Clise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh calm down :D
I actually wondered if paint weighed approx the same as water, but it didn't really matter as to the point.
250 lbs of paint is a lot off gallons either way, so quit harrasing me about it or I'm not talking to you any more. :D

I have some "Cold Gal" paint....really expensive stuff....and it is damn heavy.....has lots of metals in it.
I have used spray pack paint (engine enamel) to paint brackets and things ( really laid it on), then baked it in my oven at about 110-120*F for about an hour, hour and a half, and it comes out looking like powder coating.
I use VHT branded paint for that.

-
Back