Power Brake Booster Question

-

George R

Mopar Nutcase
Reaction score
Are the brake boosters the same between a 70 Duster with front disc's and a 69 Dart with 10" drums?
I think the booster in my 69 Dart has an internal vacuum leak. I can still drive the car so I don't want to take it off the road. I have another booster from a 70 Duster and that car had front disc brakes. I want to send the Duster booster out for rebuild, then swap it onto my car after it comes back. Just want to make sure they're both the same booster before I spend any money.

Maybe someone with a book can look it up for me?

Thanks,
George

George,
If you believe the booster is leaking, pull and plug the vacuum hose going to the intake manifold. If the idle speed drops down then most likely it's leaking. I believe disc and drum boosters are the same.
Don

Are the brake boosters the same between a 70 Duster with front disc's and a 69 Dart with 10" drums?
I think the booster in my 69 Dart has an internal vacuum leak. I can still drive the car so I don't want to take it off the road. I have another booster from a 70 Duster and that car had front disc brakes. I want to send the Duster booster out for rebuild, then swap it onto my car after it comes back. Just want to make sure they're both the same booster before I spend any money.

Maybe someone with a book can look it up for me?

Thanks,
George

As long as they are both the 7" booster which is the dual diaphram type, should be no problem. But snce it is a dual diaphram hang on to your wallet, ythey are pretty costly to have rebuilt. I have one that i have been trying to find a supplier to sell me just the diaphrams so I can rebuild it myself, but so far no luck.

Thanks guys.
Oldcoot- I did exactly that. The car has an idle misfire, so I clamped the booster hose closed and the idle smoothed out. Once I unclamped the hose, the idle speed changed and the misfire was back.

SGBARRACUDA- The boosters appear to be the same size. Both have the "band clamp" around the halves so I think they're the same. I have to clean the Duster one off a bit and see if I can read the numbers on the tag.

Thanks for the help, guys.

George

There is a place in Sacramento called http://www.powerbrakes.com/

Tell them what you're trying to do and they will set you straight. I believe the power boosters are not the same but they can tell you. I have used these people and they sold me what I needed to rebuild the booster which had a hole in it. They're very friendly and knowledgeable.

There is a place in Sacramento called http://www.powerbrakes.com/

Tell them what you're trying to do and they will set you straight. I believe the power boosters are not the same but they can tell you. I have used these people and they sold me what I needed to rebuild the booster which had a hole in it. They're very friendly and knowledgeable.
I can tell you this, my 69 Dart and my 72 Duster have the same booster on both.
I'm pretty sure they didn't change till 73.

I ended up ordering one from Autozone for about $105, plus a $57 core charge.
Thanks for the help.

George

Like all of the manufacturers back in the day they had alternate suppliers, the common style with the band clamp joining the 2 sections, I believe was Midland-Ross, the alternate style has the 2 halves that lock together with fingers was Bendix. They are both interchangeable.

Is this the 7" dual diaphram? If so can you post the part number?
SGBARRACUDA-
The Autozone site didn't list a "part number", but as soon as it arrives I'll post their part number for you. I should have it mid week.
If you go to their website, simply plug in the info about your car and it will bring up 2 or 3 pieces/options to choose from; i.e. with or without master cylinder etc.
Yes, it is the 7" dual diaphram. I don't know for sure what finish it will come in. My original was sort of a bare metal finish, with the brackets only being the gold cad color.

George

-
Back