Power brake booster

-

craigb

Reaction score
I hope to upgrade 71 Dart to power brakes. I purchased a booster unit with bracket and linkage to use for a core and plan on using the bracket etc. The booster I bought is from a 75 Dart and when I look up boosters on Napa the 71 is and 75 Darts take different booster units. Anybody know if bracket and linkage from 75 unit will work with 71 booster or should I be looking for 75 booster?

I used brackets from a 74 Dart on my 65 Dart, so the firewall bolt-up and pedal attachments are the same, so if 75 is the same it "should work". I didn't use the booster & MC, though they would have fit. Instead I used ones from a 95-99 Breeze (see my avatar), which fit after slight filing of the bracket holes. The booster just barely clears the Wiend valve cover on my small block, but works. More room if the factory valve covers.

Thanks Bill. Looking at the pictures of the two different booster units it appears that the end of the rod that goes into the booster is different on the 71 and 75 units. anyone know if the linkage will be a direct fit? The 71 booster is smaller in diameter so I would prefer to use it if my linkage from 75 unit will work.

The rod that goes into the vacuum booster is part of the bracket. It attaches to a lever on the bracket, not to your pedal. The flat bar to the pedal is also part of the bracket. Since you are getting all together, they all fit. The only question is if your pedal would be in the correct place. Should be, since I don't think the brake pedal bracket changed from 71 to 75. My 65 is different, but my brake pedal seems to sit in the correct place, and I was able to adjust the pedal switch fine.

-
Back