Power brake conversion

-

porterracing

Reaction score
I have a 66 valiant wagon that has four drum brakes, originally manual. I want to set up power brakes for drums now, and later plan to switch to four disks. Is there any advice or issues that I should be aware of before I get into this little task? Thanks- Zach

Adding a power booster does nothing to improve your braking, it just lessens the pedal effort. So if a lighter brake pedal is your goal, the power booster will help. If you're after better braking, go to disks first. And going to 4 wheel disks will change the pedal effort and feel as well, so you may want to do that first and then see if you still want to go to a power set up.

Personally, I prefer manual brakes on these cars. With the right size master cylinder the pedal effort isn't bad at all. I even converted my Challenger from the stock power disk/drum set up to manual. My Duster was manual to begin with. I run 15/16" master cylinders on both cars. Currently both cars have 11x2.5" rear drum brakes, the Challenger has the later Mopar 11.75" front disks, the Duster has DoctorDiff's 13" cobra style disks.

I did the same in my 65 Dart (see avatar). Since I may eventually change to front disks, I installed a booster. I got one from a 74 Dart, but used just the bracket/lever assembly. I mounted a booster w/ alum MC from a newer car (95-99 Breeze), and only had to rat-tail file the mounting holes on the bracket slightly. Today, you can find a new brackets/booster/MC on ebay for ~$140, so I suggest that.

At the time, I assumed a booster would be needed for disks since even the smallest cars today seem to come w/ boost. But, many here claim manual works fine. I was never good at the leg press in the weight room. When the booster failed in my 65 Newport w/ 11" drums, it took both feet and still drifted thru a stop sign, so can't imagine w/ disks. But that is 4000 lbm vs ~2800 lbm for my Dart. The little I have driven the Dart, the brakes seem fine, and not too touchy even w/ the 7/8"ID MC.

-
Back