power brake pedal free play adjustment

-

dusterbd13

Reaction score
so i finished getting the power brakes bled, replaced the booster with a new one from the parts store. they work great.
only problem is that they are a little unnerving to drive. they have a lot of free play before the brakes begin to slow down the car. like 3-4 inches. then, when the brakes start to operate, there is only about 1 inch of travel between barely dragging and full lock down.

is there an adjustment procedure that i should be doing? just seems like there would be a way to adjust for a gigher, moire confidence inspiring pedal.

michael

I haven't ever heard of any kind of adjustment. But every time I've bled brakes, or a clutch slave cylinder, and there is play in the pedal, I just keep bleeding them until they are nice and solid from the get go (or close enough with like an inch of play). You may have bled them until it was steady fluid coming out, but there could still be a large air bubble trapped in the middle somewhere that didn't work its way down.

Didn't you ask this elsewhere?

This sounds to me like either you have the wrong master---with a much deeper recess in for the pushrod than the original, or one end of the car's brakes are just not working

yup, i did. when i have questions, i usually post here and moparts.

got it figured out tuesday night. the threaded adjuster between the booster and master needed threaded out. after some fiddling and testing, the brakes work great.

-
Back