Power brakes vs intake manifold 72 Demon

-

jimzahvacpro

Reaction score
I have a 72 DEMON. I'm having problems stopping and the engine doesn't put out a lot of power until 3200 rpm and then its a rocket. I've been told to change the cam.
It has a mopar 4120231ac cam. (lift .484, dur 284, lobe sep 108, 2600 to 6000 rpm.
My engine guy sold me a Comp Cams 20-214-4. (lift .470, dur 278, lobe sep 110, 1800 to 5800 rpm. is this a good move?
I cannot find the intake gasket. the manifold casting number is P4452893. The port size is 2.500 x 1.125. It was running before, just not outstanding.
Help would be appreciated .
Also, where can I hook up the hoses for the heater?

Not quite sure what you are asking, so dont smack me lol. Heater hoses hook to the top of water pump and to the front top of engine- on manifold. Manifold gasket is cheap and can get at advance auto, etc. Cam you just bought sounds alot better than the one you had already. Brakes prob suck because your cam setup didnt allow for good vacuum. Dropping down the cam to the new one you just got should help. If not- get a vacuum booster canister resevoir.
Hope this helps? Im thinking of a 360 setup.

Welcome Jim!

Members "70aarcuda", "Rumblefish" and some others will know about that particlar intake better then i, but i believe you have a early M1 single plane. That casting # was on the same manifold used on regular lg. port heads as well as the W5 heads only the mounting holes were drilled wider for the W5. Those early intakes, if i recall, only had a small provision for a temp sensor and had no area drilled for a heater hose. I don't know about the gasket? That 2.50" number looks awfully big/tall to me.

As far as the Compcams "Magnum 270", i think the possibility of gaining a few more inches of vacuum for the brakes is there. Just make sure it gets degreed in properly. If it goes in set retarded at all you may have just done a cam swap for nothing.

One other thing.....This thread will get pushed back very quickly on this forum. It would do much better in the "Small Block Tech" forum. Maybe a Mod. will catch it and can move it......Good Luck, Rick

-
Back