Power-Lock sure grip...8 3/4??

-

dusterdoug

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever have one? Looking at a 3.91 center section with one and don't know anything about them. Anyone have anything to tell me??

Looked them up on the 'net and they seem pretty cheap: $150/$180 new. So I'm wondering how they compare to a rebuilt OEM suregrip? Are they reliable, etc??

Thanks!

Is that the kit that converts an open diff. to a locker? If so I've heard they are kinda "clunky" when they lock and unlock. I don't know this by personal experience but I used to read a lot on the Dakota sites and a bunch of guys tried them and all said the same thing. Other than being noisy they seemed to work ok from what I read.

I've had them in some 4*4 stuff. They're definitely clunky. A little worse than a Detroit Locker maybe?

For a strip/street application they'd work really well. Don't think I'd want one in a predominately street car.

Are you talking about a mini spool kit or the rebuild kits for a Power-lock?

The powerlock rebuild kits are about $75 for clutches and steels. If you need everything, side gears, shafts, spiders, etc, then those are $180 + $75 for the clutch pack. New powerlocks are in the $325 range IIRC.

Here's a pic. And you're right; the rebuild kits are $180-ish. The units themselves are anywhere from $5-600.

8.75_powerlock.jpg

Plate type Sure-Grip diff were Dana "Powr-Lok" limited slips. Many consider these superior to later Auburn cone type units as they are easily rebuildable, have a higher torque handling capacity, and can be shimmed for tighter preload. As for smoothness, they are far better than any Detroit Locker.

Here's a pic. And you're right; the rebuild kits are $180-ish. The units themselves are anywhere from $5-600.

Cheif's right. That's a standard Dana power-lok used in 8-3/4's until 69. Very good unit. That's not what I was referring to earlier. I thought you were talking about the power lock module you install in a open diff. to make it a locker. You can get a rebuild kit for them for less than $100 unless they've went up a lot in the last 6 months since the last one I bought.

Cheif's right. That's a standard Dana power-lok used in 8-3/4's until 69. Very good unit. That's not what I was referring to earlier. I thought you were talking about the power lock module you install in a open diff. to make it a locker. You can get a rebuild kit for them for less than $100 unless they've went up a lot in the last 6 months since the last one I bought.
Yup, that's the one I got! Dana powerlock 8 3/4... Sweet!

-
Back