Power or Manual Steering car

-

awohlers

Reaction score
I bought a 1970 Duster rolling chassis and was wondering without the steering box in the car what the easiest way to tell if it was a power or manual steering car from the factory? Is there something coming off the steering column I can look for?

Thanks!

Yeh. The steering column shaft is a different length. If you are lucky it was PS because you can buy an adapter/ extender if you end up hooking it to manual. If it's manual, and you want to go PS, you will have to change the shaft, or cut/ fabricate a different U joint/ coupling.

I don't have dimensions, but if you measure from the firewall or a known point on the column to the bottom end of the shaft, someone here can compare to what they have

Codes may not tell you much, as old as these old girls are. Hell I converted my 70 RR (440-6) to manual way WAY back in the seventies. So it no longer hand the original column shaft

Whoever found that car today, "the codes" would be worthless. In the time I had it, it wore 2 440s, a 340, a 273, and a 360. 4 speed, but had a TF in it for awhile.

81sruds.jpg

I just ran the fender tag code and no mention either way. Looks like I'll be measuring the steering column.
VL29:
Plymouth Valiant,Duster
Low
2 Door Sports Hardtop

B0B: 198 125HP 1-1BBL 6 CYL
Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA

1482: Sequence number

E22: 198 cid 1 barrel 6 Cylinder 125hp
D13: 3 Speed Manual Transmission-Floor Shift
FY4: Light Gold Poly Exterior Color
D2F8: Trim - Luxury, Vinyl Bench Seat, Green
EF8: Dark Green Metallic (Dodge), Ivy Green Metallic (Plymouth) Int. Door Frames
A07: Build Date: October 07
0999: Order number

FY4: Light Gold Poly Top Color
R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)
Y05: Build to USA Specs
EN2: End of Sales Codes

Interesting what info the fender tag can tell you.

-
Back