power package

-

clayton d glasscoe

MODUST340
Reaction score
what do you guys think about the edelbrock total power package 417 hp small block mopar top end engines bits parts number 2049 for my stock 340 duster and is it hard to install dont know too much about working on cars

It's a good package. You will still need pushrods, rocker arms and carburetor.

You say you don't know too much about working on cars. Is the plan to do it to an engine currently in the car?

Get yourself a few small bock Mopar engine build books and go for it. Take your time and triple check everything. Is there a friend that could help you? FABO members could help but sometimes it is challenging trying to help over the web.

The other option is purchasing a Blueprint crate engine that's you could drop right in. You get a great warranty!
Chrysler Compatible Crate Engines

The one thing I don’t like about the “Package” is the camshaft used. Considering what Edelbrock say about their head flow, the cam doesn’t lift the valve very high to take advantage of the cylinder heads flow abilities. The LSA is also a bit wide and it could be narrowed up a good bit.

What their cam does well is make driving it real easy. But it gives up a lot of power everywhere. If you want an easy driver that makes that 417HP, it’s a hood deal and I say go for it.

I agree about the cam.....but that said it WORKS! It saves a LOT of time and trouble shopping for pieces that "might" work together.

Gentlemen, that's why they build and offer packages, a parts recipe that works.

I like and don’t like the marketing slogan because some people can’t get their head out of their *** and realize it’s a marketing technique.

I like and don’t like the marketing slogan because some people can’t get their head out of their *** and realize it’s a marketing technique.
Well of course......just like ALL the others!

After all its an old school chevy grind cam , but it works and is easy on the valve train , I say go for it.

After all its an old school chevy grind cam , but it works and is easy on the valve train , I say go for it.
Yup. Great point and I think one people need to be reminded of every now and again. You don't NEED the latest and greatest fastest rates of lift to have a really nice performing street engine. One that will make good power and actually LAST doing it!

i want to say thank you guys for the input and yes the engine is still in the car well this winter i guess ill go for it im in chicago if any member would like to lend their hand im willing to pay but learn as we go im working with a budget

i want to say thank you guys for the input and yes the engine is still in the car well this winter i guess ill go for it im in chicago if any member would like to lend their hand im willing to pay but learn as we go im working with a budget
I think you'll be happy with the results. While there are always compromises with parts no matter what you choose, those Edelbrock packages are very convenient having everything in one kit. Kinda a "no muss no fuss" approach.

On thing i would suggest (not sure if you considered it yet) is to put on a new waterpump and fresh timing chain while you are in it

These cars are relatively simple and apart from a torque wrench, what you are planning on doing cab be achieved with basic tools

I work and teach for breakfast sandwiches and mid afternoon hero/hoagie or what ever ya call’em in your neck of the woods…

Oh crap, you’re in Chi-town…. Well, when you’re tired of winter….

Also what dyimirage said. Fresh components are always a good idea. I do that myself and placed the used one on a shelf for just incase.

I think you'll be happy with the results. While there are always compromises with parts no matter what you choose, those Edelbrock packages are very convenient having everything in one kit. Kinda a "no muss no fuss" approach.
That is certainly an excellent point and approach by Edelbrock.
While I did say I wasn’t so thrilled with the cam, the Chevy lobe is relaxed enough vs an aggressive MP drag grind (LMAO) that it’s easy on the valve train and will not stress and wear anything out. This is longevity.

Without reviewing the thread, someone said to for it and I agree.

-
Back