Power steering adjustments

-

rtee007

Deplorable Texan
Reaction score
Morning Moparites......my steering is too sensitive. Just a touch of the wheel will send you across 4 lanes of traffic if you are not careful.
I seem to remember back in my younger days that we could adjust the power of the steering by moving something on the steering box.
Not talking about the screw that is used to adjust the neutral zone, but another adjustment.
I was thinking you loosened the two bolts where the PS line attaches to the steering box and tapped it up or down?
Ideas?

Your talking about tapping the spool valve, which you adjust to center the pressure and make it the feel even from left to right. The only way to change the actual firmness is to shim down the pump or consider a FirmFeel box rebuild.

Ok. I never had a steering box so touchy and I have owned many Mopars over the years. It is just plain dangerous.

I had a car that did exactly that and it was caused by bad lower control arm bushings.
Once the steering started to move the arms would shift and cause an exagerated effect on the steering.

Once the bushings were replaced it straightened right up.

Now if you REALLY are talking about being oversensitive on the power assist itself, the article is called "Pump it down" and that is here [ame]http://www.moparaction.com/tech/beep/PUMP_IT_DOWN-re-v1.4.pdf[/ame]

I am going to examine all the front suspension as well. I am not beyond believing there is another problem. Thanks for chiming in.

Read that article and it was dammed informative! Thanks ��

I am going to examine all the front suspension as well. I am not beyond believing there is another problem. Thanks for chiming in.

At it's worst before I replaced the bushings I went to change to the left lane from the right coming up to an intersection because there were cars waiting to turn out into the hiway from the right.
My left tire hit one of the imbedded reflectors in the road and I darn near hit the car in the left turn lane on the other side of the intersection.
It was a sudden two lane change instead of just moving from one to the other like intended.
That was the lower control arm bushings letting the control arms shift.

I betcha that is the problem with my Dart.........:burnout:

At it's worst before I replaced the bushings I went to change to the left lane from the right coming up to an intersection because there were cars waiting to turn out into the hiway from the right.
My left tire hit one of the imbedded reflectors in the road and I darn near hit the car in the left turn lane on the other side of the intersection.
It was a sudden two lane change instead of just moving from one to the other like intended.
That was the lower control arm bushings letting the control arms shift.

Damn, I've had badly worn LCA bushings but nothing that caused that dangerous effect. It was just a little squirrelly but manageable. I'm glad you and your Mopar are okay. I hope you didn't drive it like that for long lol.

Damn, I've had badly worn LCA bushings but nothing that caused that dangerous effect. It was just a little squirrelly but manageable. I'm glad you and your Mopar are okay. I hope you didn't drive it like that for long lol.

Only for a couple of weeks and a few hundred miles. :)
It got worse fast before I could get all the bushings and stuff here and get it done.

-
Back