Power Steering Belt

-

zmarty27

Reaction score
On a ‘74 Duster 225. What size are you guys running? I’ve tried 5 different sizes and nothing seems proper. I’ve got the federal pump and the adjustment screw is not featured on mine. Its as if its a fixed bracket. Am I missing something? Probably so! How do I get this thing on there? Any help is appreciated.

*I have the manual, but the instructions are showing/telling differently to what I have in front of me.

Last edited:
A pic or two of what your looking at might be helpful.
Of course. Here are some images. Thank you for looking!

B4DB2C7D-7892-4B3A-A3EA-9CA8673E3444.jpeg

36EF6126-4221-49BF-9CC2-52EBF9C3FB51.jpeg

A7F4BBF0-6687-4FAC-8D2E-F0D3CF313ECC.jpeg

D53590E1-5D8F-47B6-937A-B6183101B8FB.jpeg

B4A4EA4D-CC52-4DAA-8FAF-60409FF69917.jpeg

Good pics.
I vuagley remember having to loosen an adjusting nut which was between the pump housing and bracket, using a thin wrench,
Then loosening the other nuts so the unit pivoted...
That was many years ago.
I don't have power steering around to see, maybe another member can weigh in.
If your set up doesn't have ANY way to loosen or adjust, you can carefully "bump" a smaller sized belt over the pulley by CAREFULLY cranking. Just make sure to pull the coil wire so it doesn't start and grab you.

What brand and part numbers of belts have you tried? Describe how each one does not fit, too long? too short and by how much?

You should replace the negative battery cable.

Since I just replaced mine, I will comment. The brackets consists of 3 pieces. 1 on the engine, 1 for the pump and a plate the slides over the 2 bolts that attach the pump bracket to the engine bracket. Your picture shows that plate is missing. Without that plate you will never be able to tighten the bolts correctly.

Now for the bolts. The top bolt slides into the slot on the top of the engine bracket. The bottom bolts slides thru slot on the engine bracket and is used to adjust the tension for the belt. There is a square hole next to the top bolt that you can use a socket extension to adjust the brackets.

I used a stock off the self replacement belt. It was slightly tighter then necessary and I needed to "turn" the pulley to slide the belt on. Once on, it was very easy to use a socket handle with extension to adjust the tension on the belt. Once set, just tighten the bracket bolts, starting with the bottom bolt.

try searching for Quanta restoration belts. Segmented belts suck.

Why not just measure it ?

Take the slack out of the tensioner and run a piece of string around the pulleys

Whatever length the string is, is the proper size belt

You should replace the negative battery cable.

Since I just replaced mine, I will comment. The brackets consists of 3 pieces. 1 on the engine, 1 for the pump and a plate the slides over the 2 bolts that attach the pump bracket to the engine bracket. Your picture shows that plate is missing. Without that plate you will never be able to tighten the bolts correctly.

Now for the bolts. The top bolt slides into the slot on the top of the engine bracket. The bottom bolts slides thru slot on the engine bracket and is used to adjust the tension for the belt. There is a square hole next to the top bolt that you can use a socket extension to adjust the brackets.

I used a stock off the self replacement belt. It was slightly tighter then necessary and I needed to "turn" the pulley to slide the belt on. Once on, it was very easy to use a socket handle with extension to adjust the tension on the belt. Once set, just tighten the bracket bolts, starting with the bottom bolt.
I appreciate the reply. I'm having a hard time imagining what that missing plate looks like. Would you mind snapping a shot of yours and sending it my way?

Its a flat steel plate with rounded ends that the bolts slide thru. And no, I'm not going to take apart my set up to take a picture of the plate.

Its a flat steel plate with rounded ends that the bolts slide thru. And no, I'm not going to take apart my set up to take a picture of the plate.
I wasn’t asking you to tear apart the car, mate. Sorry for the inconvenience of asking a question.

Thanks, Bugman. Downloading the file now. I already have the manual, though… I’ll let you know if this has supplemental information. Thanks again.

That file is out of sequence ,section 19 is in mostly right place, but part numbers in in test page 19 ,follows behind section 21 page 10 manual tranny. Section 19 page 16 shows 2 different set ups

Last edited:
Going way back to when I had a 1969 Dart 225. The OE bracket developed cracks. I pulled a bracket from a later 1970's slant. It was a different design (improved?) but bolted to my Federal (Chrysler) pump. I probably lucked out since didn't know 3 p.s. pumps had been used over the years (last was Saginaw GM type). It had slotted holes to adjust belt tension, but don't recall where. I would clean all gunk first. LA Awesome spray bottle (dollar stores), brush and garden hose works well.

Re V-belts in general, I went thru that recently finding one for an AC compressor on custom brackets on two of my old Mopars. You can find Gates and Goodyear catalogs on the web. I recall they come in 3 widths and length increments of ~1". Later standard is mm length with designator like "11AV1300", where 1300 is the length. Problem is some give the average length and some the OD length, which vary by ~1". I had try ~3 belts to get perfect, but compressor swing was fairly limited. The oops went in my "belt box" for the future.

-
Back