power steering box leaking from plates on top

-

63dartman

Reaction score
I have a 71 dart, power steering box is leaking from the plates that bolt to the top. I am not sure Which plate is leaking yet. Sorry for not knowing what they are. Is it ok to remove them and check them for problems and maybe apply a thin layer of gasket sealer? Are there any gaskets that can be replaced? Never worked on a steering box until now. I just don't want to open up a can of worms if I do remove them. Is there anything I should be aware of?

If you are referring to the control valve on the top of the box, held on by two small bolts, there are two "O" rings between the two. Replace them. In the control valve itself, there are one or two more "O" rings. Check your FSM for the parts breakdown.

if you remove that valve underneath is a jiggle pin thingy
it dicates the box bias i.e how much assist goes to left and right hand turns

when you put that valve back on there is some movement in its mounting
it needs to be moved to the correct position so that the amount of assist to the steering is the same for turning both ways

if it is really out of whack keep hands clear of steering wheel if the front end has the wheels off the ground and you start the car.

steering will very quickly go to 1 lock or the other all on its own and you don't want your knuckles rapped while you still have spannering to do..

Dave

Last edited:
If the leak is in the control valve, and you plan on pulling that part to replace the O rings, mark it's exact location so you can return it there for your initial start up. That valve is adjustable as mentioned by Dave999. Just a tiny adjustment can have dramatic results. That valve needs to be centered exactly so steering effort is the same going to the right or left. Basically, if it gets out of whack and needs to be centered, you need to loosen the two bolts SLIGHTLY so that you can tap the valve housing toward the front or rear to where there is no power assist turning the wheel either direction. This is done with the engine running, front wheels off the ground, and fluid in the system, so, if you loosen the valve too much, you will have power steering fluid all over the place. Too tight and the valve won't move. Marking the valve location before you take it off gives you a good starting point, and sometimes it won't need to be adjusted at all. If the leak is around the input shaft, that's a totally different problem and procedure. You may want to look in the FSM to follow the steps needed for either leak repair.

thanks Dave999 and Cudamark! those are the worms are I am trying to avoid. Good info and helps alot! thank you.

-
Back