Power steering box recommendations for road race

-

yeah

The gang’s all here
Reaction score
Hey guys . So I got the firm feel stage 3 box in my car and the federal power steering pump . I'm not liking the pump it feels way over boosted . I'm wondering which ps pump to buy , I've seen people with jeep pumps , circle track pumps , saginawa type 2 pumps etc..... I have no idea what box would work the best for my car , car is set up for taking turns .

Thabks
Peter

Wow, even with the Stage 3 is still feels overboosted?

The federal pump does supply more pressure than the Saginaw style, so just switching to the Saginaw style would help a little. You can also modify the output on the Saginaw, so that might end up being the solution.

You can take a look at the old Moparaction article "pump it down", it shows how to modify the Saginaw pumps.

[ame="http://www.moparaction.com/tech/beep/PUMP_IT_DOWN-re-v1.4.pdf"]http://www.moparaction.com/tech/beep/PUMP_IT_DOWN-re-v1.4.pdf[/ame]

I'm not a fan of the federal pumps. In my experience and some others the Federal can't keep up with fast turning like an autocross. There are some people that don't have a problem with it.

There's an article in Mopar Action about shimming the valve in a Saginaw to reduce pressure and power assist.

The amount of "feel" or "boost" has nothing to do with going fast. It's just a driver preference thing. I had the chance to drive a late model circle track pavement car. It had very boosted power steering.

Also, it's probably not going to feel like a modern rack and pinion no matter how little power assist it has. Hope you are not confusing precision feel with power assist.

Questions?: What size and model front tires are you running? What are your alignment specs right now?

If you have an aluminum water pump ('70-up type setup) you'll need brackets and arrangement like this:

Attachments

• PICT3600.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 326
  • PICT3598.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 325
hey thanks for responding guys, and im glad it was you autoxcuda and 72bluenblue. You guys know your stuff . It feels so assisted , there is no steering effort . im not liking it at all. I read that article before and i was gonna go with the mopar saginawa pump, but i figured i would ask after seeing so many pumps being utilzed.

The tires up front are 245/40/17 sumitomi htr II high performance summers, and i dont really remweber the aligment specs, it was a while but it was set up for street/road race but noting to crazy from what i remeber.

Need to know specific alignment. Should be like 1/2-3/4 negative positive camber, 3-5 degree positive caster.

What other old cars do you have or have driven with less assist power steering?

Oki found the spec sheet . Camber -0.9 , caster 1.3, toe 1/16 in. And not many only old cars i drove were a mustang but that had manual steerinh and a coronette that has so much slop in the gear box . So yea basically none

Oki found the spec sheet . Camber -0.9 , caster 1.3, toe 1/16 in. And not many only old cars i drove were a mustang but that had manual steerinh and a coronette that has so much slop in the gear box . So yea basically none

More caster!!!!

With a power steering set up you can run as much positive camber as you like. I have +5 caster on my Challenger, gives the car a more stable feel and will give some additional resistance to turning. The -.9* camber and 1/16" toe in are right on, although depending on your UCA's you may have to trade a little camber to get more + caster. I'd be willing to dial back the camber to -.5* if it meant increasing the caster.

Typically, +3 to +5 caster is where you want to be, with the lower number being more for manual steering.

Ok car will be going in for alignent when snow melts so I'll get them to change my caster To a higher degree . Thanks .

So what you guys think, saginawa mopar pump or a differnt type of saginawa like the type II.

Ok car will be going in for alignent when snow melts so I'll get them to change my caster To a higher degree . Thanks .

So what you guys think, saginawa mopar pump or a differnt type of saginawa like the type II.

Depends on if you are willing to pay the price difference between the two. And you are willing to make brackets and make a power steering pressure hose and be willing to go through the trial and error of the process.

Just be aware there no brackets to put a type II on a small or big block Mopar.

You plan to use a valve like this if you have to (I think you will)?: https://www.danchuk.com/ItemForm.as...Category=eb49721d-7774-4c7f-861f-1290e6091a44

I do have one of those just for the weight reduction. But haven't put the effort to make brackets and hoses to put it on. I've got other priorities to do that will make it go faster first.

That KRC Chevy bracket only works with that trick KRC race pump. That KRC pump has a different bolt pattern than the common pump setup pictured on the left with the reservoir. On top of the picture is a cast iron pump (w/o reservoir) that is externally almost identical to the aluminum version.

Attachments

• IMG_7738.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 231
I'd just find a Mopar Saginaw pump for it. That way you don't have to worry about brackets, special hoses, etc. The Saginaw by itself will lower the pressure a little. That and an increase in caster and I would be inclined to see how it went before I started reducing pressures further. Although with the Saginaw that would be easy enough to do per the article.

You can modifiy Both FEDERAL and SAGINAW pumps.
If you have federal pump you need to disassemble it when shimming valve, at same time good to change seals on pump.

I added about 0.09'' w/ stock box helped alot.

Now I have new borgeson box and i needed bit more pressure and i removed 0,045'' from pump and now steering fells really good.

-
Back