Power steering box with no power

-

drewmac

Reaction score
I have an odd question. Can you use a power steering "chuck" and not use the power steering pump? Thus fast ratio manual steering? Is there a longevity issue? Reason I ask is I had a pump go out and the steering effort while harder was similar to that of a manual box. I don't mind muscling a manual box so getting quicker steering would be a bonus (or the addition of electrily assisted steering as noted in another thread to help out). Any thoughts?

I wouldnt. May go for a while, but the oil flow must play some part in lubricating it.

I wouldnt. May go for a while, but the oil flow must play some part in lubricating it.
I wonder if filling it up with PS fluid and running the HP line to the return line (thus keeping fluid in the system) would help?

the main problem with running a power 'box with no pressure is that the valve body has way too much movement before it will move the pitman arm. just rock the steering and observe the input joint moving in and out with the engine not running. that is what exposes the valves internally to operate the power steering.

but I don't see any reason not to strip the power steering box, remove the piston for less drag and replace the centering springs for calibrated spacers. then fill with standard steering box oil and fit plugs in the pipe connectors.

but if you replaced the centering springs for heavier springs that would in effect make a correctly working power steering unit heavier. a much better way than just reducing pump pressure as reducing pressure requires more movement in the input shaft increasing play again.

the main problem with running a power 'box with no pressure is that the valve body has way too much movement before it will move the pitman arm. just rock the steering and observe the input joint moving in and out with the engine not running. that is what exposes the valves internally to operate the power steering.

but I don't see any reason not to strip the power steering box, remove the piston for less drag and replace the centering springs for calibrated spacers. then fill with standard steering box oil and fit plugs in the pipe connectors.

but if you replaced the centering springs for heavier springs that would in effect make a correctly working power steering unit heavier. a much better way than just reducing pump pressure as reducing pressure requires more movement in the input shaft increasing play again.

Do you know where I can get a diagram of the refit (but I don't see any reason not to strip the power steering box, remove the piston for less drag and replace the centering springs for calibrated spacers. then fill with standard steering box oil and fit plugs in the pipe connectors.) you are talking about for removing the piston, and centering springs? I've got a box that needs a rebuild and can't think of a better one to try this on.

I've got a box that needs a rebuild and can't think of a better one to try this on.

looking at the diagram it's the reaction rings and centre thrust bearing race that needs fixing into place. it may make more sense when stripped but basically the steering input shaft requires fixing into position while allowing it to still spin on its axis.

'box.jpg

-
Back