Power steering brackets

-

67Ruda

Reaction score
I am putting a 360 out of a 1978 Dodge van in my 67 Barracuda. I went with a 273 water pump so I could use the original radiator The car had a 318 in it but it came with a 273. I am now having problems with the power steering pump not lining up. No where to bolt it up to. Can any one help me out with this problem? Thank you in advance. Pat. The smartest mopar people in the world are members of FABO so I`m sure it will be something simple.

I am not really sure. The 318 came out of a 73 Dart but that pump wont even come close to bolting up to this 360.

Did you use the timing chain cover from the 273 (late 60's style) to match the cast iron water pump?

If I were doing this, i would use the original 80's vibration damper, 60"s style timing chain cover and cast iron water pump. Then put the engine at TDC and mark the vibration damper at the (old late 60"s timing marks). Use TDC on the old timing chain cover, and then mark the new damper with white out or white touch up paint.

I used the timing chain cover that was on the 360. Maybe I should have used the cover from the 318 that I took out of the car. Would that be the way to go?

I went with the harmonic balancer that was on the 1978 360 and had Hughes build me a 2500 stall convertor with a balance weight. If I go back and use the timing cover off the 318 will the power steering pump bolt up?

My 68 340 has a 360 timing chain cover and a cast iron water pump from the 273 it replaced. Only issue was I had to move the timing tab to the passenger side of the engine. Other than that, no problems.
The balancer is a new aftermarket piece and the pulleys lined up.
I had to use a Federal power steering pump with the 273 brackets to make it work. It bolts onto the cast iron water pump. Your pump should have a bolt hole boss on the left side, sticking out, that's where your pump bolts to.
A picture would be very helpful in trying to help you.

I know a pic would help a lot but I have no way to get you one. I bought a good running 72 Dart for $200.00 Took motor and trans and put it in ac alt and all. That was about six years ago and I can`t remember about the power steering. It was bolted on the 318 drivers side. Is the federal pump the round shaped one? I have to go out and take a better look. We did get it fired up and camshaft broken in. I will let you know what I figure out on this. Thank You for your help

I know a pic would help a lot but I have no way to get you one.

You can post one right in this thread. Just set your camera for the smaller pic, or re-size it before you upload it.

Unless of course you don't have a camera.

I used the timing chain cover that was on the 360. Maybe I should have used the cover from the 318 that I took out of the car. Would that be the way to go?

Yes. I would use the old (318) timing chain cover and the 360 vibration damper and just remark the damper for the different timing marks on the 318 timing chain. The older timing chain cover will have the timing marks and lower radiator hose outlet on the opposite side.

The radiator has the lower outlet on the driver side. I put a double roller timing chain for the 360 The new 273 water pump outlet is on the driver side. I used the 360 harmonic balancer or vibration damper and bought a weighted torque convertor so if I change to the 318 timing cover I should be good to go?

The timing chain cover has nothing to do with fitting a power steering pump on a cast iron water pump. I have some pics of mine I will post for you to look at later.

Thanks Bob. Pics will help. I think I have it about figured out. How ever if you would post a couple of pics that would be great. Pat.

-
Back