Power steering cooler?

-

Alecb

Reaction score
I'm planning on getting a Firm Feel power steering box and wanted to know if a power steering cooler would be beneficial. I plan to use this car mainly for street driving and cruising, maybe go to a drag strip once in a blue moon. The main goal is to protect the steering box and help it live a long time.

The only reason I would consider a cooler is if you have headers that are cooking the box. I have seen some BB B bodies with header tubes touching the box. Usually pounded for clearance. If the box is not getting cooked I don't believe it's needed. If you want to plumb a tranny cooler on the low pressure side go ahead. It won't be expensive but probably isn't needed..I'm not sure why some cop cars got a cooler but I think those cars were running all day.

Chrysler put coolers on some cars with steep rear gears. My Super Bee with 3.91s had one.
Unless I were running steep gears, or headers as noted above, I'd use a good synthetic fluid and call it good. Of course, talking with the guys at Firm Feel to get their input is a good idea.

I put my Charger together in 2001 with a swap from a 318 to a 440. In the first week of warm weather driving, the steering assist started to get "choppy". I pulled a cooler from some Diplomat/Gran Fury police car and it solved the problem.
Yes, I had/have headers. I attributed the hot fluid issue to my tendency toward corner carving but it could have been due to the headers as well.
Still, no Police car came with headers as far as I know. Didn't P/S Hemi cars get a cooler too?
These coolers always go in the return line, never on the pressure side.

I am adding a 65 C Body cooler to my 65 Dart. Steer and Gear rebuilt my steering box to their Stage III (modern day feel) specs, i had the cooler so I figured why not use it. Unlike an OEM cooler for your application, mine is all custom. I might have a factory cooler that is a bolt-on to your PS pump. I’ll see if i can locate it and send you a pic

The only reason I would consider a cooler is if you have headers that are cooking the box. I have seen some BB B bodies with header tubes touching the box. Usually pounded for clearance. If the box is not getting cooked I don't believe it's needed. If you want to plumb a tranny cooler on the low pressure side go ahead. It won't be expensive but probably isn't needed..I'm not sure why some cop cars got a cooler but I think those cars were running all day.
I do plan on running headers in my car, I don't know their proximity to the steering box yet. Still in the teardown phase of my build. I will keep this in mind when reassembling.

I put my Charger together in 2001 with a swap from a 318 to a 440. In the first week of warm weather driving, the steering assist started to get "choppy". I pulled a cooler from some Diplomat/Gran Fury police car and it solved the problem.
Yes, I had/have headers. I attributed the hot fluid issue to my tendency toward corner carving but it could have been due to the headers as well.
Still, no Police car came with headers as far as I know. Didn't P/S Hemi cars get a cooler too?
These coolers always go in the return line, never on the pressure side.
I'm sure I will get up to some spirited driving with my car, hence why I want to protect my components. I need to come visit your shop again one of these days Kern Dog!

I'm willing to entertain a fellow Mopar guy!
Weren't you the guy that came over for a Dash pad? If I recall, weren't you a "car model" guy too?

Here is a PS cooler that came off a SB Cop car

95CF4DB2-E486-4DF6-B5E5-E0CEBABA10E1.jpeg

Even some 2nd Gen V8/V6 Dakotas got them. One that will eventually be installed on my 93

8F247713-C06A-421E-A587-E4227DCCD459.jpeg

And certain 65-earlier c Bodies and Imperials had them but never an early A

1E67DC52-278C-4FA2-994F-4EB9BD3304E5.jpeg

Glad I saw this thread, reminds me I need to put one in my Duster since I do a good bit of corner-carving. I also just installed 3.55 gears, previously had 2.94s.

-
Back