Power Steering Fitting Thread?

-

adamp

Reaction score
Anyone know the size of the thread for the power steering fittings?

I believe they are proprietary on the box, anyway

GM for many years used a 7/16 inverted flare nut on the hi press into the box on a 3/8 tube, and the return was a "standard" 3/8 inverted flare. But I believe the Chrysler stuff is pretty much proprietary on the boxes.

It may also be different with the federal vs saganaw boxes.

When I started running a Magnum pump, they have some metric fitting on the back. I had to track down that 7/16 inverted flare fitting off a GM box to fit the hose. But I have a Saganaw pump.

This is my box... Not sure what kind it is...

EA76AF38-6AFC-4A82-A00B-96E8761B669F_zpsfkv17cl3.jpg

I had to track down that 7/16 inverted flare fitting off a GM box to fit the hose. But I have a Saganaw pump.

There is some ways to deal with this

1...Some brands of replacement hoses come "in pieces" so if you get a helpful parts guy you might be able to mix and match

2...ALWAYS save the old hose ends if the fittings and metal part is OK. There's a couple of ways to deal with this. The hydraulic folks make a compression end "to hose". In weatherhead dual braid, this is 06U-756 for 3/8, or -755 for 5/16

These are a compression end, you cut off your old metal end, use it at the pump or box, and clamp that fitting on to make the hose up

Ermeto%207000%20Series%20Flareless%20Tube%20Rigid-500x500.png

Another way to do this is to silver braze a fitting onto the metal tube, such as no6 JIC / AN male flare. Then just have a hose made to fit

Attachments

• brazed.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 138
Just don't tell the hose shop it is for power steering! Say it is for your custom log splitter etc or they will likely say they can't do it from a liability standpoint...

Just don't tell the hose shop it is for power steering! Say it is for your custom log splitter etc or they will likely say they can't do it from a liability standpoint...

"This hose is for a home made hydraulic system on my garden tractor."

Say it like you mean it LMAO

-
Back