Power steering fluid level

-

Flyinbrian72duster

Dart and duster
Reaction score
I have a 71 dart where should the level be there is no dipstick and what fluid
15273933558201578303039.jpg

Mine is at the bottom of the neck, so the fluid covers the pump body.

I use hydraulic fluid in mine 303 but trans fluid is fine also.

Mopar engineers did specify POWER STEERING fluid which must be somehow different from ATF. I do not know the difference and I have been using ATF for several years in many cars.
I also fill it to sit no higher than 1 1/2 inches from the top to allow for expansion when it gets hot. I suggest an inline P/S cooler too if the car is built for cornering.

Just somewhere between the bottom and halfway up the neck

AND IT'S TIME FOR another story from the old days......

Years I ago I had a Meyer plow on the old FJ-40, and decided to use the PS for lifting the blade. I used a small double acting cylinder, which means that one direction it displaces fluid back into the system, minus the volume of the cylinder rod.

By filling the PS say, 1/2 from the top when hot, the thing would "use" fluid down to "almost too low" BUT IT WORKED!!!! And it was FAST!!! I put the valve between the pump and steering box, and the only time you lost boost to the PS was in the 1-2 seconds you were raising the blade

Picture of what the cap should look like, to give you an idea of the level. Should be at the base of the neck, that groove at the bottom of the neck would be a good indicator for a cold level. Covers the pump but leaves the reservoir neck for expansion.
s-l1600 (8).jpg

I didn't realize these caps weren't reproduced or widely available, seems like they're hard to come by. Here's one on eBay- not mine
NOS Mopar 1968 74 Federal Power Steering Cap Dodge Plymouth 69 70 71 72 73 | eBay

I thought the $70 one was expensive, then I found the guy asking $179...
NOS Mopar 1958-1976 Federal Dodge Chrysler Plymouth Power Steering Pump Cap | eBay

Seems like the type without the dipstick can be had a little cheaper. Still! Guess I know what to do if I find one
MOPAR FEDERAL POWER STEERING CAP CHARGER GTX CUDA CHALLENGER DUSTER | eBay

Last edited:
-
Back