Power steering fluid type/brand and air filter setup help...

-

318MoparGuy

MoparHokie
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have just purchased a 1973 Dodge Dart Swinger and I need to replenish the power steering fluid as it 's low....Looking for best brand/type to use as I haven't had the need previously to hunt down correct fluids for a classic car......Also the car had a /6 in it and now has a 318 with a dual snorkel air filter. Is this possibly a component from a 318 truck motor setup?...I measured the inside circumference of where the air filter would sit and it looks like 10 3/4...but can't seem to find air filter to fit...318 car filters seem to only measure 10"...Any thoughts? Please see picture below...Thanks as always for your assistance...Greg

PS fluid plain old Dexron same as in your Torqueflite, if you have an automatic.

Do you have the old filter? Look for a part no. Any "decent" parts guy can measure the old one and find the replacement

I had one of those air cleaners years ago. Got it from 73 or 74 full size car with a 440, if I remember correctly

I use walmart suppertech tranny fluid for power steering and tranny and no problems and also just incese i add some Lucas brand stop leak

I had one of those air cleaners years ago. Got it from 73 or 74 full size car with a 440, if I remember correctly

Getting closer...440 filter has correct 11" inside circumference and 13" outside circumference...but O'Reilly states WIX filter is 2.75" tall and I only have 2 and 1/8th max ht...will check other brands..so the hunt continues, but thank you for your help as I am hot on the trail....if anyone else has some info or leads, it would be appreciated...Thanks again Greg

PS fluid plain old Dexron same as in your Torqueflite, if you have an automatic.

Do you have the old filter? Look for a part no. Any "decent" parts guy can measure the old one and find the replacement

No, I don't have the original as the PO probably got tired of trying to hunt it down, so he used an oversized (circumference) one that had the correct ht 2 1/8"...wish there was a website to find a air filter by inputting dims..this one has 11" inside circumference and 13" outside circumference and as stated...2 1/8" ht...thanks for your help on filter and power steering fluid type...all the best Greg

Check out this link: http://www.nicksgarage.com/aircleaner.htm

Scroll down to find your air cleaner assembly and look at right hand side of page for filter part numbers and dimensions.

Looks like a 1974 400 and 440 4-barrel dual snorkel wide angle.

Thanks Demon 408, that particular filter would fit inside and outside circumference dims, but the height shown is 2.75 in. and I only have 2 1/8 in. max....but man that is a great website...thanks for sharing...continuing the hunt...there has to be one out there made for my height. All the Best, Greg

Take the air cleaner to the local auto parts store and open up filters and try them till you get one that fots have had to do it before

Take the air cleaner to the local auto parts store and open up filters and try them till you get one that fots have had to do it before

The problem is the present air cleaner is the wrong one....the circumference is too big...but the ht is good...2 1/8 maybe 2 1/4" tops...will keep looking....thanks for your help....Greg

Thanks Demon 408, that particular filter would fit inside and outside circumference dims, but the height shown is 2.75 in. and I only have 2 1/8 in. max....but man that is a great website...thanks for sharing...continuing the hunt...there has to be one out there made for my height. All the Best, Greg

You are welcome. But, I think you may be wrong on the height, most stock Chrysler air cleaner like yours are 2.75". The filter that's in it now most likely is not correct. Buy the correct filter as listed on the link I sent you, if it doesn't work you can always return it.

The problem is the present air cleaner is the wrong one....the circumference is too big...but the ht is good...2 1/8 maybe 2 1/4" tops...will keep looking....thanks for your help....Greg
Greg I am saying to take the air cleaner assembly to the auto parts store and pop filters in till the correct one is found

I use walmart suppertech tranny fluid for power steering and tranny and no problems and also just incese i add some Lucas brand stop leak

My PS reservoir is pretty low and so I will adding Valvoline PS fluid....it says it meets Chrysler spec.# 5391...I will be adding Lucas Stop leak too as I agree it is a good idea also....how much should I put in with PS fluid? Thanks for your past input and thoughts on this too.

You are welcome. But, I think you may be wrong on the height, most stock Chrysler air cleaner like yours are 2.75". The filter that's in it now most likely is not correct. Buy the correct filter as listed on the link I sent you, if it doesn't work you can always return it.

Demon 408...Thanks for getting my brain on the right track...I went to 3 auto supply stores today (O'Reilly, Advance and Autozone) trying to find a Fram CA305, but no dice and so I special ordered the filter at Autozone..8.99 not too bad....it will be here in three days and so I will update you all on fit....fingers crossed....guess I wasn't looking at it correctly...thanks again for your help... Greg

Hi Demon 408,
I picked up the CA305 today and it fit perfectly...just like you said (2.75" tall). It's nice to have the correct stuff in there so it can function as intended. I always gave/give my cars (past and present) the best of everything as they always took good care of me wherever I went. Thanks again for your persistence in getting me to understand that I was looking at the filter height incorrectly.
All the Best,
Greg:cheers:

-
Back