Power steering gear 72-73

-

hemi135

Reaction score
I recently obtained a used power steering gear from a fellow member here for my 72 Duster. I was told it came from a 70 Duster but the date codes on it show 1974. My steering linkage is all 72 stuff, yes smaller sector. I'm aware in 73 the input shaft was larger but stupid question where exactly do I measure this possible 74 unit to verify the size? Right on the 32 spline area where the pitman is? Pictures would be great here....

If this is a larger input steering gear, is all I need to make it work a 73 post pitman arm, 73 post Center-link, and 73 post idler arm?

Later steering gear has 7/8 diameter thread which requires a 1&5/16 hex nut. The earlier steering gear has the same 3/4 diameter thread as the manual gear.
Anyway... the hex nut is the quickest identifier.

Later steering gear has 7/8 diameter thread which requires a 1&5/16 hex nut. The earlier steering gear has the same 3/4 diameter thread as the manual gear.

Well, I checked it as RedFish suggested above and the thread diameter is 7/8 so it a 73 post unit. Please correct me if I'm wrong here, so I need a post 73; Pitman, Idler, Centerlink, and 73 inner tie rods to work since I have all smaller 72 linkage in there now to make this post 73 Steering Gear function properly?

Yea. I converted my 72 to the later style and had to go new pittman and idler. Studs point different directions. Flipped the center link over and it all works great also. Leaves more room for long tubes

Yea. I converted my 72 to the later style and had to go new pittman and idler. Studs point different directions. Flipped the center link over and it all works great also. Leaves more room for long tubes

Please do not suggest unsafe assembly.
Tapers go together only ONE WAY.

Check/clean the mating surfaces gear box to K member. Use Locktite on those 3 bolts and torque them to spec. Obvious reasons.

Not to sound rude, but this isn't right. Both large and small sector shafts (output shafts) have the same 7/8 diameter thread and use the same nut. To tell the difference, you should measure the shaft just above the Pitman arm with calipers. Small sector is 1.125", large is 1.250".

Not to sound rude, but this isn't right. Both large and small sector shafts (output shafts) have the same 7/8 diameter thread and use the same nut. To tell the difference, you should measure the shaft just above the Pitman arm with calipers. Small sector is 1.125", large is 1.250".

I've been wrong before. Maybe I just imagined changing a 67 manual steering to power steering gear, retaining the same pitman arm, etc... 1&5/16 socket not required.
Good luck

-
Back