power steering gear box seal replacement

-

konrad

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have a 1969 dart swinger and my steering box is leaking. I have the box removed and I have a seal replacement kit. Is it easy to change the seals by myself as I have never done something like this? If anyone has done this before and can give me any tips I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

I think its just a bunch of O-rings and maybe 2 paper gaskets? IIRC, there is a nut that requires a spanner (that hook looking thing) to get off but Its probably pretty simple once you get it out. take pics if it gets involved, LOTS. to help put it all back together. Good idea to mark all the bolts where they sit and also trace the valve body location with a scribe. Get everything back to where it sat originally. Some PS boxes allow movement of valve body to center steering bias, check first.

Hey everyone,
I have a 1969 dart swinger and my steering box is leaking. I have the box removed and I have a seal replacement kit. Is it easy to change the seals by myself as I have never done something like this? If anyone has done this before and can give me any tips I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

for the lower seal
on the car I'd have taken out the snap ring and removed the pitman arm nut, got a pitman arm puller and pulled the arm down a bit, replaced the arm and nut loosely on the shaft then started the car and turned the wheel to one side or another to pop the seal down to the pitman arm, removed the arm,nut and resealed it.
lot less work but you are on your back doing it . oh and it's messy! get a LARGE drain pan to catch the fluid. it sprays pretty far:D

off the car I'd put the pitman arm back on the shaft remove the snap ring and use air pressure(to the high pressure side, same one that comes FROM the pump) to pop the seal. do not forget to take a picture of how the seals came out after you pop it to the nut on the shaft so it will go back the same way since there are shims or washers in there.
I'm sure there are lot's of other ways to do it though. I just don't like digging the seal out of there with a tool, even though I know people who do it that way too. For me , I end up scratching the shaft sometimes, if I use a tool to remove the seal. :banghead:

for the top seals I just follow the manual's directions when working on the top and steering column seals.

There's a couple youtube videos which I looked at a couple months ago...made it look easy (lol)! If you got the time go for it. Sorry I don't have the links.

-
Back