Power steering gear box valve leak

-

Retnuh22

Reaction score
Questions for the group,

My 1967 Dart power steering box is leaking between the box and valve. I’ve researched here, and found that it’s probably a couple o-rings gone bad. Seems as though it’s a common issue or so. Question is... when I take the valve off, are there springs or valves that needs to be watched for as I pull it off? I’ve read I need to mark the valves location to make the adjusting that much easier. Any help would be great.

Also. Have a little play in the steering wheel while driving. I’ve replaced everything but the box. Is the box semi adjustable to tighten the play at all?

Thanks in advance. Oh and....Cheers!

I use to replace those O rings on many a cop car at the garage I worked at in the 70's. If I recall it is a 3 O ring arrangement that are bound together. It is adjustable by sliding forward and backwards while the valve is barely snugged down. It would be a good idea to mark it before you take it off. But adjusting them is not that hard.

I use to replace those O rings on many a cop car at the garage I worked at in the 70's. If I recall it is a 3 O ring arrangement that are bound together. It is adjustable by sliding forward and backwards while the valve is barely snugged down. It would be a good idea to mark it before you take it off. But adjusting them is not that hard.
Thanks for the input!! Guess if man can put it together, man can take it apart.

Cheers!

-
Back