Power steering gear box

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Working on my front end build. My Power steering gear box that bolts to the K frame. What can be done to freshen these up. What should I check before installing? Im curious because Im putting it all back together and I want to make sure its right.

I bought a kit from Rock Auto to rebuild the unit in my 73 Swinger. It was leaking big time so I had to do something and didn't want to spring for a rebuilt unit. Pay very close attention to the order and orientation of all the pieces as they come apart. There's a lot of pieces that are easy to put in backwards or in the wrong way. The kit has a small exploded diagram that was of little value so I had to reference my factory manual which had very good illustrations of the internals. You'll have to jerry-rig something to make that internal torque adjustment and be sure to use plenty of PS fluid during assembly. The final adjustment is on the valve body housing which centers the valve lever in the housing. You'll know if it needs adjustment if your steering pulls to one side by itself when you start it up.

Overall, I'm pleased with my results but admit it was tricky and very easy to screw up. I somehow managed to put everything back together correctly and have been driving it for the last year with no leaks. Good luck.

i used Steer and Gear, Columbus OH
i read those instructions above..
complete rebuilt assembly, just bolt in

-
Back