Power steering help, please school me.

-

HemiEd

Reaction score
This is a total departure from what I have done with all my cars the last 30 years. I have always taken the power steering off, and added manual. I have given away, numerous complete systems. Worthless to me, I thought.

Now, I am putting it back on my Barracuda. Wow, the $$$$ are crazy on Ebay for the stuff.

I have a pump, with a badly bent pulley. Any information on where to get one reasonable? New pressure side hose? Rebuild kits/seals for the sector and pump?

I appreciate any help in advance!

Was just gonna chime in with Steer and Gear, but I see you're on it!!! I always save up my old power steering gearboxes and power steering pumps and brackets to turn in as cores to Steer and Gear at the Mopar Nationals. Usually pays enough to cover my hotel bill!!! As a matter fact, I just got my core check from them today!!! Good luck with your project Ed, Geof

Thanks Geof!

It is so funny how I have always ignored these things, now they are like fricken gold when I want one!

I used to have a huge pile of them, and A/C compressors, out behind the garage. When I yanked the /6 out of the Barracuda, I gave the whole drivetrain away, including the P/S system.

I am going to do the seal kits my self, it should be more fun that way. Might send the brackets down to Leanna for pc.

Sorry I can't help with any information here, but what kind of parts do you actually need to convert from manual to power steering?
And is there enough room with a V8 inside or just the /6?

Btw. Rockauto.com has pumps, seal kits and a lot of stuff for a reasonable price ;)

-Payy

Theres enough room for a smallblock V8 and power steering. The factory did it. I dont know that I'd want to attempt power steering and a big block. Prolly can be done but will be tight.

Sorry I can't help with any information here, but what kind of parts do you actually need to convert from manual to power steering?
And is there enough room with a V8 inside or just the /6?

Btw. Rockauto.com has pumps, seal kits and a lot of stuff for a reasonable price ;)

-Payy
You just need the p/s sector, which I have, the brackets, pump and hoses. Of course, you also need the PS steering column, since it is shorter, but that is what I have.

Thanks, I have never purchased from Rock Auto, and did not think of them. I hear a lot of good things about them, so will give them a shot.

-
Back