Power Steering Help

-

dwire67

Reaction score
I got my 70 Duster up and running after almost 2 years of working on it .
I installed power steering- I have Firm Feel stage 3 box, Saginaw pump and all new lines.
With the car on the lift and just cranking engine over I turned the wheel from lock to lock with the cap off the pump to get the air out, and I did 3 times after letting it sit.

Fire the car up no noise from the power steering pump at all , turn the wheel and it worse than manual box , so I bleed it again and the fluid was clean no bubbles.

Fire it up again seems good and as soon as I turn the wheel it pushes fluid out of the cap and let go of the wheel and it is fine and again go to turn wheel and out comes more fluid from the cap and the cap it tight.

The seal is good under the cap, I just don't get? I have never had this problem before.
Any idea's?
Maybe the pump is leaking internally?

I would guess you still have air in there. Sometimes these are a PITA. Try VERY slowly moving the wheel, and shut it off of a WHILE between tries

That fluid gets all "frothed up" and air seems to become sort of trapped in the fluid.

I would guess you still have air in there. Sometimes these are a PITA. Try VERY slowly moving the wheel, and shut it off of a WHILE between tries

That fluid gets all "frothed up" and air seems to become sort of trapped in the fluid.

I agree.
I've had good luck doing this;
Try raising the front tires off the ground. With the motor idling, slowly (one RPM for starters) rotate the steering wheel lock to lock. Everytime you are just short of full lock, pause for about 30 seconds or so. Five or six times in both directions usually gets it drivable.

-
Back