power steering issue

-

737jetdr

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I posted something on here a while back about my steering box. When I start the car the power steering tries to turn the wheels to the right. I changed the pump when I first got the car because it was dry and shot. Someone had mentioned something about something being stuck in the box?? If anyone knows what I'm talking about and can elaborate with pics i would appreciate it. thanks

Put the front end up on stands and start the engine. With the bolts where the high pressure hose attaches loosened just a little Tap that assembly upward or downward. The is a sweet spot where the gear will stand still. Tighten the bolts.

Yep, usually gets munged during an engine change and gets bumped downward. There are (I think) 4 bolts that hold the cover on the box that accepts the high pressure hose. Loosen the bolts enough to get the cover to move with a light tap from a hammer and when the steering quits pulling to the side tighten them down.

Thanks everyone. I took that valve off and took it apart today. Cleaned it up with very fine steel wool and put it all back together. Valve was pretty nasty and didn't slide very well. Moves very easily now. I still have to fine adjust it. It goes to the left now. I found something that said if car turns left- move valve down. turns right- move valve up. I will get it fine tuned tomorrow. Thanks again.

Thanks everyone..

You're welcome. I must add that a factory service manual will provide more detailed answers and procedures to address this and 100s of other problems you may encounter.
Online forums are often a good place to ask questions but sometimes the short and not so friendly answer "BUY A SERVICE MANUAL !" is the best answer.
Happy moparing

-
Back