Power Steering issues after rebuild

-

Vmanmopar

Reaction score
Hi all,
This is driving me crazy, I converted this 68 barracuda from manual to power steering. installed all new hoses, a rebuilt saginaw pump (used original res). The box came from bone yard car. Before i put the box in i set it up and flushed the box out, i got dark fluid out of it unit it was clean. Then i put in a new pitman arm and shaft seal. Installed everything and it looked like the factory put it there. Filled the system and turned the wheels left and right to purge the air then started the car and did the same (car was up in the air for all of this). Everything seemed fine the pump ad little whine to it. Took it for a drive the pump noise seem to get louder and then the steering shaft blew. Got it home pushed the seal back into place for now. Refilled the system and the noise is worse. while i get the noise somewhat especially after driving the pump with low or out of fluid but my question is why did the shaft seal blow out? I really don't want to pull this box again.

System fluid pressure is controlled by a valve that screws through the reservoir into the pump where the high pressure hose attaches. Did the rebuilt pump include a new valve ? Sounds like the valve stuck causing excess pressure.
There's another flow controlling centering valve mounted on top of the gear box where hoses attach. I can't say what strange conditions that valve can cause.
I've seen first hand what a faulty valve in a steering rack can cause ( sudden hard left turn, or high pressure hose blow out ).

Last edited:
the pump valve seemed free when i installed it, i pushed the seal back into place re-filled the system and no pump noise and the power steering worked. i know this is not a true fix but as soon as i put pressure on it the seal blew out again. So now i'm going to change the seal out and disassemble the pump to check the valve, not sure about the box top yet. i want to start with the things i touched last first if you know what i mean. i have another box but it is for a 73 and up. i also have the pitman arm, idler arm but i'm missing the center link for that change out if the box is my problem.

-
Back