Power steering leak help

-

DartVadar

Reaction score
I have a power steering leak in my 73 dart. Prior to swapping the 318 and putting the 360 in I didn't have a leak. And I never disconnected any hoses to the power steering pump. I got it all together and was turning the wheel to do some brake work. I haven't started the car yet either. I was just manually turning the wheel. I noticed that after a bit of turning it would start to leak out of the power steering cap, no where else, just there. It's a vented cap as well.

Why is it leaking when the car isn't even on? And how do I fix it. I assume there is an o ring or something behind the cap?

I've seen them do that before... gurgles back up through the PS pump.... I would not worry unless it does it once the car is running.....

It does that because there is air in the fluid and when the pump stops the air expands and pushes fluid out.
Mine does that if it gets low and I fill it to far up the neck, so I fill it to just above the pump insides and it doesn't happen.

Yea it seems like air, I guess it will sort it's self out when I start the car. It worked fine before so I don't see why it wouldn't work still.

Yea it seems like air, I guess it will sort it's self out when I start the car. It worked fine before so I don't see why it wouldn't work still.

Sounds pretty normal, and I also think it will be fine.
It just needs to circulate that air out.

Here's my theory, you are turning the wheel which forces the fluid back into the reservoir and because the pump isn't pumping it back into the system, it's overflowing.

It's my story and I'm stickin' to it, lol. :D

-
Back