Power Steering not working

-

MNmoparman

Reaction score
Hey guys, have a 73 dodge dart sport with a 360 and headers in it. I put a reman ps pump in it and two things i can't figure out.

first, it is leaking but it is not leaking from any of the fittings. there is oil on the bottom of the pump and it is dripping on the cross member and floor. Where's my leak??? :angry1:

Second, the ps is not working??? :help: Loosened the in line on the box and fluid came out, took off the return on the box and fluid came out. help please!

They can leak between reservoir and pump. There's a large O ring seal there.
They can leak at the front shaft seal behind the pulley too.
As for it not working... First it has to be filled with fluid, then you have to get all the air out of the fluid. Foamy fluid doesn't work. If it was filled, ran, and then sat over night, the foam is gone now.

Happy Easter!

Thanks. When it was running yesterday we took the cap off and didnt see any foam. Could there still be air in it?

And are you saying that a reman installed two months ago can already be leaking??

I assumed this was a fresh install. Now that I know the problems arose 2 months later, failed seals or worse. Reman'd should be under warranty though so...

Not without a good pump. These are simple vein pumps so there isn't much in it that could go past its internal pressure control valve and mess up your steering gear.

I bought a reman and after a month it started leaking from the bottom between the pump and reservoir I bought a repair kit with the big O ring and then took apart the pump to find the reservoir a little out of shape. Luckily I kept my original and used the reservior from it and now I'm leak free. As for getting air out of the system NAPA has Tech tips on their website that helped me.

A working pump will cirlculate the air out pretty quickly, and especially if you turn the wheel lock to lock a couple of times.
It's actually WAY to comon that the large O ring leaks or the pump does not work at all on remans.
You could put a pressure guage on the high side (Steel line side) and see if you get good pressure, but it might be more trouble than it's worth.

One good clue that the pump is working is that when you first run it, you should hear a fair amount of squealing and see foam till the air gets circulated out.
If it never squealed, foamed or groaned then it doesn't work. (The rule I go by)

-
Back