Power Steering Overflows

-

Billy the average guy

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I recently rebuilt my leaking p/s pump on '74 Valiant /6. Replaced rings and seals and then reinstalled with a new low pressure hose. I did not drain all the remaining fluid from the steering box only added the proper amount of new fluid to fill the reservoir. Carefully bled the system by raising front end and turning steering wheel lock to lock 20x, then another 20x, then another 20x to remove air. No leaks!

But now with the engine running and the cap removed the reservoir boils up and overflows fluid only when I turn the steering wheel (front end still raised). Noticed dirty fluid mixing with with the new clean fluid so will do a complete flush but what would cause the overflow?

Power Steering Pump.JPG

You may have over filled it to begin with. You have to have the pump turning to get the air out when you go lock to lock with the front raised. Take coil plug wire off of distributor cap and engine won't start. Fill to the line on cap/stick and turn lock to lock with pump turning. Since you churned it up already.....you could just leave the cap off overnight to let air escape.
Brian

Aerated fluid from a fresh fill can cause that, so if this was just done it could resolve itself.

It's been almost a year and the same problem continues. Car was on jacks for 8 months with engine work and replaced front tie rods but steering is nearly impossible when on the road and fluid shoots out of p/s pump at the top until unit is dry.
Any ideas? Could steering box lines be clogged?

Last edited:
Yes I did. In frustration, I took the pump that I myself had rebuilt apart a 2nd time and discovered that I had put the cam ring (looks like a large chunk of machined metal) in backwards. There’s a directional arrow on it. Reassembled it and it worked. Eventually had the steering box rebuilt by Firm Feel and the car drives great now.

There is good information on on rebuilding here on A bodies forum but I found my mistake on a good article on Moparts. Step #15 was my saving grace on direction. It’s a Saginaw pump.

Moparts on the Web - Main Index

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Billy.
I have the TRW pump.
Think they have differing designs. Rebuilt mine and sounds like the cam ring in the saginaw is not in the TRW.
Wondering if the steering box may be my issue with the overflowing fluid.
I will next try to purge air by raising front end and turning steering full right and left repeatedly.

-
Back