Power steering pulley adjustment????????

-

gearjammer340

Reaction score
My uncle has a 67 charger (383/4spd) man brakes/pwr steering ,no a/c and we are just putting it back together after painting(He did It I just showed up to help wrap it up) but we are having a problem with the power steering pully not anywhere near where it's supposed to be. Its kind of lined up with the center of the 2groove crank pulley and lines up with nothing so far. The alternator is on and hooked up with a belt on it on the inner pulley(single groove pulley on the alternator) so I need to move the pulley on the power steering pump out like 1/4in is this something thats adjustable or do we have other issues I'm not seeing. I'v had the braket (2pcs) that holds the pwr steering pump off and am not seeing any way to move the whole assembly out enough(even if I elongated the holes)to make it work. Anyways any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks alot,
Jr.

Here's a pic:
0826091852-1.jpg

I might be wrong but I think there is a piece missing. A trinagle shaped piece with adjusting slot and square drive hole in it ?

Can you get a closer up picture of the brackets. Is this the pump and brackets that originally came off the engine. I had the same problem with a power steering pump that dimensionally wasn't the exact one for a BB and had to shim it outwards to get the pulleys to line up, the pulleys were out a quarter of a inch also.

Terry

4.jpg

If yor pump doesn't have a nut on the shaft to secure the pully, than the pully is a press on type.
Then you can mark where it's supposed to be, and pull the pully outwards with a correct pully spanner.

Was the pump always out of alignment?

Antoon

I slotted the holes that holds the brakcet to the pump and I pulled the pulley out a little(I wanted to move the pulley as little as possible). I dont think its the original pump because it has reman stamped on it, maybe the original type though as its the same as our 67 charger w 440/auto (originally a 318 car so I dont feel bad making it fast lol)but thats back in woodburn and my uncle is 4hrs away which is where I'm at now lol. I'm not used to working on cars that are original and want to be kept that way. I'm used to starting out with a /6 abody taking out everything not neccesary putting in the biggest motor we can afford at the moment, add a plate some sticky tires and going racing(theres alot more to it than that but you get what I mean). This 67 charger of my uncles I'm working on right now is an #s matching 383 4spd car that he's done a really nice job putting together, It's still a ways from driving but I'll fire it up in the morning, just got done fixxing the pulley deal, building plug wires, stabbing the radiator in etc etc. Almost there.
Thanks for all the replies,
Jr.

-
Back