power steering pump belt removal

-

sparkyct

Reaction score
How do I get the belt off of my power steering pump ? I don't see a tension bolt or anything. It's a '72 Swinger

I'm answering from Downunder mate, so you'd best wait till the big boys tune in and post their replies, but as far as mine goes you just loosen the pump mounting bolt and slide it around toward or away from the donk. Loosen or tighten your belt and nip the bolt back up - can't see where it would be much different over there.
Just my 2 bobs worth - hope it helps.
Gary

See the slot that the circled bolt is in?
Just loosen the mounting bolts and it will pivot towards the motor and the belt gets loose.
The square hole next to it is where you put a half inch drive breaker bar to tension it back up.

How do I get the belt off of my power steering pump ? I don't see a tension bolt or anything. It's a '72 Swinger

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 502
Although I'm sure they are the same down under, it sure sounds different.
I have never found a "Donk" in my engine compartment.:D

Just messin with ya mate.

I'm answering from Downunder mate, so you'd best wait till the big boys tune in and post their replies, but as far as mine goes you just loosen the pump mounting bolt and slide it around toward or away from the donk. Loosen or tighten your belt and nip the bolt back up - can't see where it would be much different over there.
Just my 2 bobs worth - hope it helps.
Gary

TrailBeast's photo if of a small block. I assume sparkyct has a slant, based on the forum. I think it depends on the year and which pump you have (TRW, Federal, or Saginaw), since the brackets vary. However, all are the same basic design of a pivot bolt you loosen slightly and a bolt in a slotted hole, you loosen more, and look for a square hole for a 1/2" socket wrench if the designers were thoughtful. Same for just about any car up thru today.

I have an 87 Dodge RAM with a slant six. The adjusting bolts for two of the belts are up top, but the power steering belt adjusting bolt cannot be seen up top. It can be accessed from the bottom only. It is located near the left front corner of the oil pan. I don't know if this applies to Chrysler cars, but maybe it will be helpful to Dodge truck owners.

-
Back