power steering pump bracket info (engine conversion)

-

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just dropped a 318 engine from a 82 fifth ave into my 68 dart (used conversion mounts and kept /6 K-frame). but now I've run into a problem, I can't get the power steering pump to bolt up without running into an interference with the high pressure port and the motor mount brackets on the /6 K-frame. Are there specific brackets to be used with the a-body? Or do I just go ahead and cut/drill/weld the exsisting ones to make them work? If there are ones I can buy I think it would save me lots of hassle. But then again,,,it's all part of the fun

Thanks for the input

Cheers:toothy10:

Hunt down some earlier P/S brackets.

hello again,

I tried trying a different pump on these brackets (from the /6) but was not compatable, that means a new pump to. Is there a certain style of pump/bracket that is easily available (I think what I have is the saginaw?)?

Thanks

IMG_2083.jpg

IMG_2084.jpg

Problem is that the pressure hose was designed to fit a saginaw pump to a V8 kframe. Since the /6 kframe is a little bit different the bends in the hose are not correct and interfere. When I ran into that problem I just notched the Kframe. Wasn't pretty but it worked.

You said you tried a different p/s pump? Was it a federal that came with the slant six? If you get some v8 brackets for the federal pump and the correct high pressure hose it may fit.

I ran into this situation AGAIN when I swapped my /6 kframe with conversion mounts with v8 kframe. I think the year kframe I had originally used a different style pump so again the hose did not fit correctly. Instead of notching the kframe again or hunting down the correct pump/brackets/hose, I just used what I had and took the pressure hose to a hydraulic hose maker and had him modify it so it would fit. Cost me about $30

-
Back