Power Steering Pump Bracket

-

TwistedMatt

Reaction score
I have a 1967 Dodge Dart GT with a 225 3.7L slant and I just swapped the 1967 engine with a 1972 Dodge 225 3.7L slant and did a partial rebuild on the 72. I went to Oriley's to get a new pump and asked for one for the 67 engine because I'm using the bracket off the old engine. I don't know if they gave me the wrong pump or what, but the back indent that has the bolt that attaches to the back of the bracket is much more shallow than on my old pump and the hole is in the wrong spot. It's a federal pump, not a Saginaw, but someone told me there's a federal and a Thompson pump, so maybe that's the problem. I also made a bracket that moved the pump back on the motor because the pulley is about a half an inch too far forward to long up with the pulley on the crankshaft. So now I need to find out what the bracket for the 1972 slant six pump looks like, as I have some extra bracket parts lying around and I might be able to find one if I knew what it looked like. I also would like to know what the correct pump that goes with the bracket/motor is so I don't have to deal with all this modification crap anymore. Thanks.

I have a powersteering pump from a 71 225 ill let go for cheap
(though shipping will be high because of the weight)

got a picture of the pump you have?

Ditto. Your brackets are for the original TRW pump. O'Reillys gave you a Federal pump. A place that sells brackets (Bouchillon Performance?) has photos of both pumps. I went thru this on my 273 engine after changing to the later alum w.p. for which no TRW brackets exist, so I had to change to a Federal pump. If I did it again, I would go w/ a Saginaw pump since more efficient and available (aka Chevy).

For your slant, the best option might be to get the brackets from a junkyard Aspen/Volare slant. That gives you both a Sanden AC compressor and Saginaw pump mount, and real cheap. I did, and was thrilled to see a Sanden on a Volare slant.

-
Back