Power steering pump brackets

-

QCH

Reaction score
Hi, I'm doing an engine swap in a 1970 Dart - slant 6 to 318cu.
I want to use the power steering pump off the slant 6 but need the correct brackets to fit it to the V8. An item on the for sale section caught my eye (mopar 318 power steering pump bracket set). It was pointed out by another member that there are two different styles. Can you help me decide which would be correct.
Pics of my pump attached along with brackets that are being offered for sale.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3181.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 1,848
  • IMG_3183.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 925
  • image.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 918
you have the federal pump. the other pump is a saginaw.

hard to see the entire bracket in the picture but that look like federal pump brackets.

federal brackets that you need:http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-72-Sma...g-Pump-Brackets-cuda-dart-mopar-/271347458570

$_12.JPG

saginaw brackets for comparison: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-Sagin...-kit-340-360-318-Dart-Cuda-Plym-/221332184193

$_57.JPG

you may want to check into it but i seem to remember the pulleys being different even with the correct brackets when going from a 6 to 8 cyl.

I can understand your wanting to reuse the pump you have but...
You'll save yourself a headache if you'll find pump and brackets for the engine/timing cover/water pump you're using.
Pumps and there brackets are different, pulleys are spoked, solid, convex, concave, diameters vary, hose connections vary, just a mess.

i did the same thing not too long ago /6-318 swap. You will also need a new pulley for your power steering pump if you want to use the same one in order to properly align with the 318 pulleys. I did it the hard way and learned it was a pain. If at all possible, I would listen to these guys, they know what they're talking about.

Take a look at your power steering pump pulley…see how it is concave? The 318 pulleys are more of a flat style pulley meaning that they are not concave or convex shaped.

If you do use the same pump, you'll have to pull the original pulley and install a 318 pulley, then find the proper brackets and install. good luck!

-
Back