power steering pump pressure

-

48jeep

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea what the outlet pressure is on power steering pump off of a magnum engine?

Probably like everything else. Around 2K PSI give or take.

Are you sure? It seems high to me. The reason I ask is that I am thinking of swapping a magnum engine into a 63 Studebaker and want to keep the stock power steering setup except for the pump. I also need to find out what the original Stude pump put out. It is the same pump as a Ford unit of those years.

That's typical P/S pump pressure.....like I said. Give or take.

You can modify pump pressure ny shimming it valve.
There is article on it. Pump it down

Typical dead-head pressure from a power steering pump is 1600 to 2000 psi, if I remember correctly. Actual working pressure depends on what is downstream from it, which is to say, what type of steering gear.

At least for the earlier Saginaw pumps, Rick Ehrenberg (Mopar Action or such) has an article on changing (lowering) the relief pressure w/ shims, so probably quotes some pressures. Should be able to google it. I recall that trucks w/ Magnum engines still had Pitman arm gear-boxes so the pumps should be similar relief pressure.

I think I have that issue of Mopar Action talking about the power steering pumps. Thank you for jogging my memory.

At least for the earlier Saginaw pumps, Rick Ehrenberg (Mopar Action or such) has an article on changing (lowering) the relief pressure w/ shims, so probably quotes some pressures. Should be able to google it. I recall that trucks w/ Magnum engines still had Pitman arm gear-boxes so the pumps should be similar relief pressure.
I did this to all my vehicles it really makes a difference... You will have to do some fab work as the inner diameter/outer diameter is not a readily available combination of washers... I actually went more extreme then ehrenberg describes and added about 1/8th inch collar to mine.

-
Back