Power Steering Pump Question...

-

Pana.Mopar

Duster Down Under
Reaction score
On my '76 Duster, I have just received brand new power steering pump. The bolts on the back that hold the bracket onto the pump, do these bolts have to be sealed as I'm quite sure they bolt into the reservoir? Apologies for the silly question? if so, what's the best thing to use???

There are no silly questions. You don't need to seal them.

Reason for the question is that it's a brand new pump and I put it on with all hoses connected etc.. and filled it with fluid yesterday but didnt start the car and now the reservoir is empty and fluid all over the ground. I can't think of anywhere else it could leak from???

Fill it back up and find out where it is dripping from. Check out the power steering box mounted on the k frame. It can leak out the steering shaft or the pitman arm shaft. Either the return hose or the high pressure supply hose can leak too.

What did you install the pulley with? I hope that you didn't press it on?

Just wondering with is the proper installaiton technique? I need to install a new pump!

Thank you,

Just wondering with is the proper installaiton technique? I need to install a new pump!

Thank you,

You could damage the pump by pressing it on with a hydraulic press. The pump shaft is threaded on the inside and should be installed with a bolt to pull it on. The trick is to keep the shaft from spinning while installing. An impact works pretty good to get it started and you could also heat the pulley a little. This is what I do.

-
Back