Power Steering Pump Question

-

Sparky1

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I am trying to get the proper pressure hose for my Saginaw pump that was on the 340 when I got it. The engine orginally was in a 70 Demon and into a 87 Dodge Cop car and that's I got a hold of it.
Anyway, with the pump installed the port is only about 1.25" or less away from the motor mount. I can't tighten the belt as the hose is against the motor mount, which I am not about to touch. My 72 Duster had a /6 and now has the re-buildt 340. Maybe the Saginaw pump is not orginal to the 340..?
Has anybody else run into issue with a Saginaw pump on a 340 in a 72 Duster..?
Thanks for any help.

72 duster should have a federal pump. takes the hose away from the motor mount. may need a custom hose to get the saginaw to work on it. think someone here said there was a place selling them but i'm not sure who it was.

Can someone post a pic of the correct pump, I have the same problem and just thought that it might be because i had the /6 k frame

yea see this is the pump your car would have come with. see where the high pressure hose is.

federal_power_steering_pump.gif

Did the /6 cars come with these pumps, also do they both use the same brackets?

Thanks YellowDartDave - For some reason my Saginaw pump looks different than yours. My port is towards the engine and your's seems to be towards the front.
I went to my local machine shop, they re-buildt my engine, and he thought that an AC fitting might work and be within the 1.25" clearance to the motor mount. He just called to say he thinks that he has the solution. I'll let you know how that turns out.
Otherwise, I do have the pump from my /6 and will have to get brackets to fit my 340.
Ah.... if it was easy - everybody would be doing it :)

Hi Everyone,
I am trying to get the proper pressure hose for my Saginaw pump that was on the 340 when I got it. The engine orginally was in a 70 Demon and into a 87 Dodge Cop car and that's I got a hold of it.
Anyway, with the pump installed the port is only about 1.25" or less away from the motor mount. I can't tighten the belt as the hose is against the motor mount, which I am not about to touch. My 72 Duster had a /6 and now has the re-buildt 340. Maybe the Saginaw pump is not orginal to the 340..?
Has anybody else run into issue with a Saginaw pump on a 340 in a 72 Duster..?
Thanks for any help.

I had similar problem - took a saginaw pump from an '80s Dip/Fury and the put it in '72 340 Duster. Mine works with small amount of clearance - might be diff size pulley/belt combo - try a shorter belt.

As to the hose - yes it must be custom one way or another.

OTOH - Buchelon (sorry if that's misspelled) has the correct hose for a earlier saginaw pump - I actually have one and it fits fine, but the inlet to the pump is the wrong fitting - it would be the right fitting for an earlier pump. I actually saw the combo I am describing on a 70/71 duster and spoke to the guy about it, and he told me what he did.

-
Back