Power Steering Pump

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
Hello all, how crucial is the pressure hose for your power steering? Will the fluid just leak out if you try to make your own lines? .. lol.
And, are there any available anywhere to purchase if needed?

I'd venture to say pretty crucial since it is a high pressure hose coming from the pump to the steering box. PS coolers (when used) are on the low pressure side. Check with NAPA, Rock Auto, etc. Even Autozone or Advance ought to carry (or get them).

Definately need a high pressure hose and fitting on the one side. If the relief valve should ever go bad it will blow those hoses apart too.

the return hose ports have simple tubing for a hose and clamp. High pressure is threaded in the back of the pump and steering gear.

I was at Advance Auto this evening picking up a caliper for my Jeep. Just out of curiosity I asked the counterguy about a power steering hose. They offer 2 different hoses - 1 for the Saginaw and 1 for the Federal. Didn't have either in stock buy could get it in a day or two. $19 and change for the Federal hose and $21 and change for the Saginaw. Hope this helps.

Really? Wow. I went into Lordco today and asked for one, they had one for Saginaw and one for Chrysler. Each running around $47. I wish I could find those $19 ones!

Really? Wow. I went into Lordco today and asked for one, they had one for Saginaw and one for Chrysler. Each running around $47. I wish I could find those $19 ones!

Do you have an O'reilley's or Napa near by. Check with them if you do. If not you can order parts from Autozone online. Costs a few bucks for shipping but should still be cheaper than Lordco.

Do you have an O'reilley's or Napa near by. Check with them if you do. If not you can order parts from Autozone online. Costs a few bucks for shipping but should still be cheaper than Lordco.

I do have a Napa near by and I was told that Napa will make (or used to make) pressure lines for people, but I was also told they don't make them anymore, they only make lines for hydrolics.

I do have a Napa near by and I was told that Napa will make (or used to make) pressure lines for people, but I was also told they don't make them anymore, they only make lines for hydrolics.
It is hydrolics. Might be a special line end fitting they cant offer. I paid about 20 for the last I bought at autozone, was for a chevy p/u

Red's right. The ps hose is a hyd hose. I bet the problem is the fittings. There's a zillion different hydraulic fittings. They can probably get it but you have to find a counter guy that knows what he's doing to get the right one. There are many that look identical but only the flare angle is different so sometimes it's hard to tell what you actually need and there's no actual book listings for hydraulic fittings for applications.

-
Back