Power steering pump

-

ltoro23

Reaction score
does anybody know which is the correct power steering pump that goes with these brackets I have? I have a feeling it is not the correct pump because it is a little slanted but I don't believe its bent which leads me to believe its not the correct pump for the bracket?

20231009_193421.jpg

20231009_193427.jpg

20231009_193433.jpg

20231009_193453.jpg

20231009_193618.jpg

Looks like a much later model P/S pump & not from a /6 at all. The cap & body of the pump don't look right. I think just about any older Mopar Saginaw pump will work. I believe the mounting locations on the pump body are pretty much the same, V8 or /6. IMHO. I will look at the brackets from a couple of /6 cars I have to see if they are correct too.

Thank you, we had some guy about 10 years ago update the front brakes to disk brakes and he did some other stuff to it too. I believe he also changed the power steering stuff but at the time I didn't pay too much attention to it just told him to make it work back when it was my daily driver car. Now i'm going back to try to fix it the right way a few parts at a time.

That pump belongs on those brackets, and those brackets belong on a Slant-6. The only thing that's not quite what it should be here is the cap on this pump, which is off of a ????. The pump itself is correct; it's the Thompson/TRW/Federal type. The Saginaw pumps and their brackets look completely different to this and while you can interchange complete setups (pump + brackets + pressure hose), you cannot mix/match.

That pump belongs on those brackets, and those brackets belong on a Slant-6. The only thing that's not quite what it should be here is the cap on this pump, which is off of a ????. The pump itself is correct; it's the Thompson/TRW/Federal type. The Saginaw pumps and their brackets look completely different to this and while you can interchange complete setups (pump + brackets + pressure hose), you cannot mix/match.
Thank you slantsixdan, it looks like i'll be looking for one of those pumps, do they make them with a shorter thing where the pulley goes? because it looks slanted a bit like if its too long and thats why it's not straight? i'll also clean up the brackets, but my dad mentioned he didn't think there was any room for adjustment to try to straighten it out.

…thing where the pulley goes…you mean the pump shaft? There were two pulley depths; a more or less flat pulley used on cars without factory A/C and a dished pulley used on cars with factory A/C (with different brackets). I don't think shaft length is what's causing the pump to be cockeyed. Have a careful look at how the brackets are assembled and how the pump is attached to them; you may find evidence of a missing bolt or bent parts, etc. That said, don't expect perfection; a lot of the Slant-6 power steering pump bracket setups were kind of sloppily/carelessly engineered.

The pump os crooked because it's mounted wrong. The length of the pump shaft has nothing to do with the pump sitting crooked. You're going to actually have to do some work and figure it out.

…thing where the pulley goes…you mean the pump shaft? There were two pulley depths; a more or less flat pulley used on cars without factory A/C and a dished pulley used on cars with factory A/C (with different brackets). I don't think shaft length is what's causing the pump to be cockeyed. Have a careful look at how the brackets are assembled and how the pump is attached to them; you may find evidence of a missing bolt or bent parts, etc. That said, don't expect perfection; a lot of the Slant-6 power steering pump bracket setups were kind of sloppily/carelessly engineered.
Haha yea the pump shaft..couldn't think of the name.

The pump os crooked because it's mounted wrong. The length of the pump shaft has nothing to do with the pump sitting crooked. You're going to actually have to do some work and figure it out.

Thank you both, looks like I'll be taking the brackets apart and trying to remount it hoping the brackets arent bent before I order new parts.

Its still not perfectly straight but it is a lot better after cleaning and repositioning the brackets a little bit

20231024_071730.jpg

I had that same "Federal" (or "Chrysler") pump on my 1969 Dart 225. It became crooked like your first photo and I found the bracket had cracked around the 3 holes where the lower part bolts to the block. I got another bracket at the junkyard, I think from an early 1970's slant. The bracket was a different design (improved?) but bolted up fine. I lucked out since didn't know there were 3 different pumps used over the years. The "TRW" pump used on early A's looks almost the same, but different brackets. It has a longer rear slot with 2 bolts. The GM Saginaw pump was used in the last slants. All 3 require different hoses and mating fittings at the steering gear. The Saginaw is said to be best. Besides pumps, pulleys varied between pumps, engines, and options like AC. Bouchillon Performance sells new brackets for most of the pumps. Like SSD, I've never seen a cap like that, but might be fairly generic.

The Saginaw is said to be best
Said by who? Whoever it is, I don't think I agree. I mean, it kind of depends on what we mean by "best". The Saginaw pumps were cheapest for Chrysler to buy, and that's a definition of "best" that gets used a lot by automakers. Any of the pumps will operate a power steering system. But as far as things like internal friction and noise, give me a Federal roller or a Thompson/TRW slipper-type pump over a vane-type Saginaw, thanks.

Said by who? Whoever it is, I don't think I agree. I mean, it kind of depends on what we mean by "best". The Saginaw pumps were cheapest for Chrysler to buy, and that's a definition of "best" that gets used a lot by automakers. Any of the pumps will operate a power steering system. But as far as things like internal friction and noise, give me a Federal roller or a Thompson/TRW slipper-type pump over a vane-type Saginaw, thanks.
I was judging by Rick Ehrenberg of Mopar Action magazine who wrote an article on adjusting the Saginaw pump for better road feel. It is likely easier to source parts for one. I've only had TRW and Federal pumps on mine. I rebuilt the TRW in my 1965 Dart, then had to change to a Federal to get brackets which bolt to the later aluminum water pump (bad choice early on). Later I thought I could use the TRW in my 1965 Newport, but found the shaft is larger diameter and only certain pulleys have the V in the correct place. For most components, best to use what came on your car, unless you want to spend much time re-engineering and face "can't get there from here". Seems the TRW innards would be termed "radial vane" since a cylinder with slots that flat vanes slide in and out as the cylinder rotates in the oblong cavity. Some Holley fuel pumps for carbs (~15 psig) are similar.

-
Back