power steering pumps

-

Vmanmopar

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the difference is between the TRW/Thompson P/S pump and a federal P/S pump. I understand about the gpm and what the back of the each housing looks like but what is the difference? The mounting holes look the same, the reason i ask is because there seems to be no one making or has brackets for a 69 and old model and all of state will not fit a federal pumps so what gives? I'm talking with another member about buying his set up but from what i have read the federal pump seems to be a better set up over the saginaw. Right now i do not have power steering on the car but do have most of the parts.

Thanks

I tried two 1.06 flo-control round-neck pumps on my Barracuda, and found neither could keep up on fast maneuvers at lower rpms. They would just suddenly lose most of their assist. Not good.
The first .94Saginaw oval-neck I bolted on worked just fine. It seems to push fluid over the top tho,when the fluid gets hot, so I run the level quite low. I shoulda put a cooler on it I guess,but it seems to be working just fine still after 125,000 miles.

Last edited:
Hmm, my experience was that the Federal couldn't keep up with quick left/right steering inputs. It is also hard to find parts for (pulleys, for instance). I swapped in a Saginaw and I'm much happier. Don't have any experience with the TRW.

Hmm, my experience was that the Federal couldn't keep up with quick left/right steering inputs. It is also hard to find parts for (pulleys, for instance). I swapped in a Saginaw and I'm much happier. Don't have any experience with the TRW.
Thanks all!!

Ditto experience with pump keeping up. I prefer the Saginaw pump because I can mount it closer to the block meaning a shorter drive belt is needed. FWIW: Never had a boil over problem with the Mordor I used to own. It ran a Saginaw pump with no cooler.

-
Back