Power steering pumps

-

dusterbd13

Reaction score
So, mine puked its guts the other night. Not exactly sure where, but i suspect the seal between the reservoir and pump itself. However, having never rebuilt a power steering pump before, i planned to grab a reman at the parts store.

Its a late saginaw pump. I think its from an 80s diplomat based upon very fizzy memories of junkyard diving in the late 90s. It looks like an 80s chevy truck pump, complete with press on pully.

Anyway, flaps doesn't seem to have a reman, just a $300 new lares. I can get a reman from rockauto for $75 or so.

Is there any difference between mopar later saginaw pumps from the 70s-80s? Is there another pump i should consider? Can the gm stuff fit the mopar brackets to where i could do a remote reservoir pump?

Thanks yall. Currently doing other repairs and maintenance on the car, but this is rapidly approaching the top of the list so i need to get parts ordered.

I don't know about whether you can swap in a GM version to a Mopar or not, but, if you know the year of your old pump, just order one for that application. There were several versions through the years......bolt-on pulleys, press-on pulleys, plain end solid shafts, threaded end shafts, different diameters, etc. You need to get the one that will take your pulley, and maybe reservoir. If you get a pump without the reservoir on it, I like to press the pulley on first. Otherwise, be VERY careful during the pulley press-on step so you don't deform the reservoir or damage any seals or O-rings.

-
Back