Power Steering Turns on its own

-

scuba0331

Reaction score
I am finishing up my 74 Duster that now has power steering, originally had manual steering.

The car is on jack stands and when it is fired up the the steering wheel turns to the left. I have to hold the steering wheel so it won't turn. Is there an ajustment on the steering box that will correct this?

Thanks,

.............its where the return line fits on......losen the 2 bolts so u can move it slightly..................kim.........

yup, just slightly loosen those 2 bolts and tap that cap part upperward or downward to stop the movement.

Sweet!

Thank you for the quick responses. I can't to go out there tonight and give it a try.

mine did that when I first filled it, take the cap off and turn it lock to lock a few times to work the air out, if you just replaced the pump.

I tapped the valve up hair and now it works just fine.

I had a similiar problem with my 66 Dodge Polara back in the 70s. I was starting to make a left turn and the steering wheel turned to the left by itself. It turned so quickly the it hit lock in an instant. I could not turn the wheel back until I turned the car off and when I restarted I could not hold it from turning. I cut the belt off anf drove home. I decided to replace the power steering pump. It was fine after that.

-
Back