Power Steering

-

jameybro

Reaction score
I have a 65 Barracuda with manual steering, 14" drums, V8, 4 speed on the floor.

I've read a lot of old posts where people are converting from power to manual steering.
What's involved to add power steering to my car? As I drive this car more and more, sometimes it's just a pain to crank the wheel around when parking, etc.
I know I need a new gearbox. Will my stock column work? Pump? Pullies?

Any pics would be a huge help too.

Thanks

The correct steering gear, pump, hoses, pulleys, will bolt right on. The manual steering column shaft is too long but it is collapsable. Defeat those shear pins inside and it fits.
The most important part is the mating of the steering gear and K member. You dont want those threads in the K to fail. Clean bolt holes, good bolts, locktite. Torque it down as if you were installing a head. Hope this helps

Thanks, your post helps a lot!
Not sure what you mean about the column being collapsible/shear pins - can you give me anymore info on this? Is this on the top or bottom of the column?

Also, are PS pumps matched to the car/gear etc? I still have the one that came off of this engine but it was in a 2001 Dodge truck. Anyone have an idea if it would work?

If anyone has some pics of how the pump mounts to the engine and the pulley setup, I'd appreciate it.

The correct steering gear, pump, hoses, pulleys, will bolt right on. The manual steering column shaft is too long but it is collapsable. Defeat those shear pins inside and it fits.
The most important part is the mating of the steering gear and K member. You dont want those threads in the K to fail. Clean bolt holes, good bolts, locktite. Torque it down as if you were installing a head. Hope this helps

The steering shaft in my 66 Valiant wasn't collapsable. I thought that it would be too, as the one in my 71 Swinger was, but I wonder if Mopar started that after 66?
I had to change the shaft out when I went from power to manual.
Both the manual and power shafts were non-collapsable.

I still have the power shaft, pulleys, and power box w/pump and brackets.

I still have the power shaft, pulleys, and power box w/pump and brackets.[/QUOTE]

I'm interested in your parts. What condition is the gearbox in? Pump?
Can you send me pics?

You can email me with more info and price.

[email protected]

Thanks

-
Back